Team Sailing

laser161116

I always hear a lot about team sailing and team tactics in instruction and rule books, but I can't understand it. Does anybody know what team sailing is and how it works? Thanks.

yes, its pretty easy. you have a cetain amount of boats, on different teams. the goal is to have the least amount of points. first gets 1, second 2, etc. therefore, first and last (4, lets just make it a four person fleet) doesn't beat 2 and 3, because 2 and 3 have more equal numbers. therefore, if you are in first, your goal is to make sure that your partner is not in last. you can set pin traps, do whatever to win, as long as it is in the rules. its fun :)

Sounds cool. I should mention that to my sailing coach although I'm sure she already knows what it is. : )

that would be cool to organize for fleet races, but i'm not sure we would get enough boats :(

macwas - you have a coach? is she just an instructor who gives lessons or does she coach you out on the water. I heard somewhere that there is a 20% penalty for coaching, but I could be wrong

A coach just like for soccer. You practice with a coach. She doesn't sail the boat for you, but teaches you how to sail it better.

Well, she is my coach and she is of course in the Boston Whaler during the races. If there is a break or something, she will tell us what we did wrong and what to do better next time. So yes, you could surely call that coaching be we compete in all junior events so even the judges want us to get better and don't mind the on water comments.

same with my instructors. its not cheating. with juniors, rules are very layed back, as we are all young, and some don't know the rules

The rules are important to the game, but sometimes they don't apply the same way to everyone. An adult maybe shouldn't be able to be coach but for a junior or midget definately. They are still learning and need to be coached. Not during the race, but during the break in between. My coach always gives me pointers inbetween races to help me do better next time.

well thats for sunfish...have you heard of the sunfish midget group its like under 14

Yes. I love lasers, but I started on the sunfish and still sail them every once in a while.

I can't stand sunfish. It's what I first learned on and the ones at my club are so old and heavy and slow that you wouldn't believe it. A laser is so much more responsive that it is unbelieveable.

Many team racing tactics don't work as well in lasers because they only have one sail and are sailed by just one person. Team racing is better in larger boats like 420s or Ent's which have two people to keep track of the complex positions/points/results and the members of your team. Match racing in lightish winds in lasers is a lot better for training purposes.

Back