Class Politics Taping paper to the deck - illegal?

LaserBen

I use a bit of laminated paper taped to the deck to write down courses, wind directions etc - is this illegal under the class rules?

You are allowed to attach equipment to the deck, cockpit and mast using "clips, ties or bags" but not tape.

Any thoughts?

I don't think this is illegal, but it's gonna have to be some kind of tape to hold up to all the water that gets on the deck. I use a grease pencil and wite on the smooth areas to the right and left of the dagger board.

You cannot use tape to create a fitting.

Under the purest interpretation....I would suppose you cannot do it.

On the other hand...

Who in his right mind would lay waste a piece of prefectly good tree, deliver that piece of paper to a proper authority, cause the authority person to gather three good men to judge, haul in the the alleged "offender with the deck fitting" to a ruom of judgement, join those present in that room, spend an hour bickering, wait another endless period for a decision, and miss real life while all that official stuff transpires?

You cannot use tape to create a fitting.

Under the purest interpretation....I would suppose you cannot do it.

On the other hand...

Who in his right mind would lay waste a piece of prefectly good tree, deliver that piece of paper to a proper authority, cause the authority person to gather three good men to judge, haul in the the alleged "offender with the deck fitting" to a ruom of judgement, join those present in that room, spend an hour bickering, wait another endless period for a decision, and miss real life while all that official stuff transpires?

Yeah I see what you mean - it would be a totally dumb thing to protest about, given that you can just write on the deck like the chap above says. I stick it on with duck (gaffa) tape and it can take anything that the water throws at it - only time it gets loose is in really light winds when I'm wrapping myself around the mast :p

Silly thing is it would be legal if I attached it with clips and elastic.

I don't agree that it's "making a fitting out of tape".

get some nice wide white vinyl tape and stick that on your coaming, then write in the tape.

:cool:

or just write on the cockpit with grease pencil.

Sticking tape anywhere not specifically permitted in the rules seems to be illegal from my interpretation.

However, I got a new laser a few days ago and the gunwale over the transom has come pre-taped. Pretty sure it's not in the rules!

Didn't some guy who won a major championship a few years back get DSQ'd for having tape in his centerboard trunk that was left over from a repair?

I think it's pretty common for people to tape copies of the sailing instructions to their boats. Also some people have those course flag stickers on their boats. Others have bumper stickers and such on their transoms, including some of the awesome Laser bumper stickers from a few years back (Like "Cheat the nursing home, die on your Laser", "Laser Girls Kick Ass" etc. . .). Some people duct tape their Power bars or water bottles to the cockpit. Some even use velcro strips for this purpose. Are any of these "illegal"? I don't think so. None of these uses are fittings. Tape in the CB trunk is specifically mentioned so that's probably why that was worth a DSQ.

Like a previous post said, if someone does try to protest for something like this then they are the problem -- a counter protest against them for violating Rule 69 would be in order I think.

Back