Tape for clear flap bailers?

Merrily

Administrator
I have a Europe Dinghy with 2 holes cut at the base of the transom for bailers. There are clear plastic flaps over the holes that are supposed to flip up when the boat is on plane, allowing any water to flow out the back. There is some kind of tape that holds them closed, then releases at the right time. My tape has failed. Can any one tell me what kind of tape this might be? It was blue, but I don't think that it is the lightly sticky painter's tape. Tried that and it didn't work.

Does it have to be tape? The 125 I sail has transom flaps but the plastic has a hole drilled through the middle, and has had a piece of shock-cord threaded through and knotted. This shock-cord then goes back to a hook on the floor of the boat, therefore holding them closed, but can be easily unhooked when on a plane.

laser2_9804 said:
Does it have to be tape? The 125 I sail has transom flaps but the plastic has a hole drilled through the middle, and has had a piece of shock-cord threaded through and knotted. This shock-cord then goes back to a hook on the floor of the boat, therefore holding them closed, but can be easily unhooked when on a plane.

No, it doesn't have to be tape. Thanks for the great idea!

laser2_9804 said:
I sail has transom flaps but the plastic has a hole drilled through the middle, and has had a piece of shock-cord threaded through and knotted. This shock-cord then goes back to a hook on the floor of the boat, therefore holding them closed, but can be easily unhooked when on a plane.

Is there tape at the top of your transom flaps that acts like a hinge? My old flaps had two kinds of tape. The one just described and the kind I asked about previously.

Anyway, I'd like hinge tape in addition to the shock cord. Is there a double sided tape that is compatiable with plexiglas and gel coat? If there isn't a double sided one, what kind of glue is compatible with tape and plexi?

Yes, there is tape at the top for a hinge. I'm not sure what kind, but it's not double-sided. We just stuck it on the outside of the boat to hold the flaps on.

Back