Talk to me about storage

Just A Mom

The search for a Laser continues. But, in the meantime we are thinking about storage. We live in Ontario, Canada. So, suffice it to say that the winter brings two things: cold and bitter temperatures and snow, lots and lots of snow. So the boat will be stored indoors at our home.

So, a few questions:

1. Is storage in a garage sufficient? It is not temperature controlled but it surely does not get as cold in the garage as it is outside. If I have a case of water sitting in the garage it does not freeze. Will this be climate-controlled enough to store a boat?

2. Does anyone have any nifty storage hacks? Someone once mentioned using a pulley system and having the boat hang from the ceiling of the garage.

We currently have a two-car garage but it has a camper on one side and we would still like to get a car in there so I don't want the boat just sitting taking up the other side of the garage.

We also have an unfinished basement and have thought about storing it down there but that would involve a set of full stairs.

If the boat is dry, cold won't bother it. The biggest problem is a boat with water in it and the water freezes.

I'd leave drain plug out, inspection ports (if any) open. Cover with a tarp with spacers so its not trapping air, but prevents anything falling in and keeps the dirt/dust off.
Then it should be fine in the garage, especially one that doesn't freeze common water bottles.

For space saving...maybe use pool noodles as spacers and strap it to the side or top of the camper. Hard to say what is your best option without seeing the space. There should be somewhere you can strap the boat to a wall, ceiling or otherwise get it out of the way.

I have this in my garage. It's where I store the boat in the winter to I can park both cars in the garage and not have to scrape ice.

Hoister 200 Pound Max Lift 8:1

har7806_laserside.jpg

You need a couple feet above the garage door, when open, to have enough room for a Laser hull.

Dear Just A Mom:

Wanted to say how much I like your Sailing Forums choice of screen name. Only to be bested by your Avatar... which I'm going to show my wife. She's going to laugh her butt off.

Cheers,

- Andy

The hoist pictured above is a great solution, especially if you have a nice tall garage. If ceiling height is a problem for others, try hanging the boat across the width of the garage -- behind the raised door, instead of above it.

I'm cheap, so I rigged up something similar with eye bolts and pulleys from Lowe's (Home Depot did not have decent pulleys). To be extra cautious, I attached a sister 2x4 to the joists from above to carry the eye bolts. Also would have been fine to attach the eye bolts to a 2x6 screwed to the joists from below.

Back