Taking on water

Sam

We have an older Laser my daughter is sailing for the first time. It is taking on a lot of water. The bottom and hull/deck joint seem intact. Is there a common Laser issue somewhere in the centerboard trunk that would cause this?

We have an older Laser my daughter is sailing for the first time. It is taking on a lot of water. The bottom and hull/deck joint seem intact. Is there a common Laser issue somewhere in the centerboard trunk that would cause this?

Several possibilities. Easy to check first, pour water in the mast step and see if it leaks out into the hull.

Not that? Any fitting is suspect as well as the joint between the deck and the hull which can delaminate. Tape connect a vacuum cleaner exhaust to the drain hole and pump air into the hull. Paint suspect areas with soapy water and see what bubbles.

Several possibilities. Easy to check first, pour water in the mast step and see if it leaks out into the hull.

Not that? Any fitting is suspect as well as the joint between the deck and the hull which can delaminate. Tape connect a vacuum cleaner exhaust to the drain hole and pump air into the hull. Paint suspect areas with soapy water and see what bubbles.

Also you might try tape over the bottom of the centre board case, fill with water and see if there is water in the hull the next day. We found our leak after four years this way.

Be careful with the vacuum cleaner. Could be too much air.

My vote is for the screw hole at the bailer.

also try re-sealing all the fittings (including the bailor), might as well test the mast step while you're at it, could be one bad leak or several small ones

the centerboard trunk can leak, especially if you ran a ground, give it a visual inspection and then leak test if if you suspect it is a problem

if you have an inspection port, check that even if its in the cockpit area

if that doesn't do it, fill the hull with low pressure and coat the entire boat with soapy water, you don't need that much pressure to be able to see a leak

Please heed Merrily's advice and be very careful pressurizing the hull. It's very easy to do damage with a shop vac. I prefer a hand or foot pump.

Mucho thanks for the super suggestion. Actually used an air compressor but the concept is the same and worked perfectly. The culprit was a loose bushing in the cockpit drain. You could turn it with your fingers. An easy fix. I am now a hero to my daughter as she can get back on the lake in her bright pink Laser.

How "old" is old?

You just need to position the nozzle of the vaccum so that it is blowing air into the drain hole. It can probably be a foot away, and it will still inject enough positive pressure into the hull for the soap water bubble test to work.

Torrid is correct. Don't put too much pressure into the hull, you can easily create a much bigger leak problem. Just hold the vacuum exhaust close to, and pointing to, the drain plug.

Back