Taking on Water

C

CP

HI Great Sailors,

Had a great sail yesterday in ten knot winds. After the sail I noticed water in the cuddy. This had never happend before.
Back at home I opened the drain in the transom and expelled almost five gallons of water.

Any ideas where I might be taking on water? Or why? Is this normal for windy days?

Thanks for your help.

cp
South Carolina

I have noticed water getting into mine when I end up crashing though a lot of waves. I have never found a leak so I figured it must be getting through around the deck and hull fasteners. If I sal on a calm lake I never get water.

Thanks for the input, Kim.

It was indeed a pretty wet ride. I was thinking maybe the water was coming in through the centerboard trunk. Since you have had your centerboard out, are there any potential slots where water might enter?

All of the Mod 1s and most of the Mod 2s have the decks glued to the hull. (Mod 3s are bolted - much better) Anyway it sometimes happens there will be a separation between the hull and the deck. One way to check on a Mod 1: On a sunny day, look up into the cuddy and see if you can see light at the hull/deck joint. Another way is to spray water up into the joint from the outside with a hose.

Back