takeaway lines

Matt B

I have often thought of attaching 3mm shock cord to the end of my control lines and tying that off on the eye straps on the back of the cockpit or even drilling the grab rails I don’t see it causing any problems as you can’t reach the lines to adjust them anyway because they’re always on the other side of the boat but thought it would move the rope out of the bottom of the cockpit but what my real question is would it be class legal.

but what my real question is would it be class legal.

Nope.

Refer back the Fundemental Rule:
Fundamental Rule

The Laser shall be raced in accordance with these rules, with only the hull, equipment, fittings, spars, sail and battens manufactured by a licensed builder in accordance with the Laser design specification (known as the Construction Manual) which is registered with ISAF.
No addition or alteration may be made to the hull form, construction, equipment, type of equipment, placing of equipment, fittings, type of fittings, placing of fittings, spars, sail and battens as supplied by the builder except when such an alteration or change is specifically authorised by Parts 2 or 3 of these Rules.

There are no rules in 2 or 3 that allow takeups on the control lines.

Rule 3(b)x. prevents the free ends of control lines (other than the mainsheet) being tied to shockcord.

Back