Class Politics Take a New Person Sailing Week

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Yes folks it is officially Take a New Person Sailing Week

Sponsored by the take a new Friend sailing Society of North America. The week is dedicated to taking people who have never been sailing and giving rides to those people.
In East Undershoe Vermont at 9 am this morning this event was kicked off when sailors form all over Vermont lined up along the sides of the interstate during rush hour with signs inviting anyone who was intetrested to stop for a couple hours and take a sailboat ride.

Traffic was held up and has still been snarled for the last few hours.

One giddy person was heard to say, " I was on my way to wait in line at the airport and since I was carrying a fine bottle of wine whcih I could not carry on the plane, I thought it was a great plan to take a sailboat ride and share the wine with the owner of the boat.

Looped and slurring his words noticeably, Jock sailmaker of West Undershoe told reporters, " That boom used to be a lot higher..I think" and he staggerd off to offer more rides.

Officials of the event were delighted at the turn out and plan to continue the event for the entire 168 hours...Escept for Jock who is currently sobering up in the hospitality tent.

What is your local plan for Take a New Person Sailing Week?

I am going to lean on gouvernail to send me a fine bottle of wine and maybe some great VT cheese since I am in a dry county then I will take a friend sailing! In return gouvernail will receive great pictures and the knowledge that he has encouraged more people to enjoy the great sport of sailing!

jwisenb495 said:
I am going to lean on gouvernail to send me a fine bottle of wine and maybe some great VT cheese since I am in a dry county then I will take a friend sailing!

I didn't know that there were counties that were dry of cheese!

jwisenb495 said:
I am going to lean on gouvernail to send me a fine bottle of wine and maybe some great VT cheese since I am in a dry county then I will take a friend sailing! In return gouvernail will receive great pictures and the knowledge that he has encouraged more people to enjoy the great sport of sailing!

Last thing you want to hear about good wine>>>
I took the bottle down to the airport and the security guys made me pour i out.

If I knew how to ship it I would do so!!

I am poretty certain I cpould get one of the Cedar Point guys to buy a bottle locally and hand it to you. Y0ur state is small enough to reach across insn't it??

By the way. We took a non sailor down to Austin Yacht Club today today and he is now fixing up a Cal 9.2 so it can go sailing this weekend.

People love this sport!!! Just give them a chance to know about it.

Must not have been very fine wine if the security guy thought it would start a fire,ohhhh but wait maybe it was so good that he thought it was bad because it wasn't his brand Boones Farm. Since VT is so close to Canada maybe better yet it was a fabulooso French wine. And I guess you didn't realize that TX is so big we think we are our own country! I live in east tx in one of the last standing dry counties. We do have a local winery Keipersol, that as far as I'm concerned you can keep it all!

gouvernail said:
People love this sport!!! Just give them a chance to know about it.
This is one of the most correct statements i have heard in awhile. In my school people see it as "retarded" or "gay" cause they think it is slow and boaring. This is kind of weird considering our school is on a barrier island and we are pretty much surrounded by water but people dont sail to much in the area.

sailor327 said:
people dont sail to much in the area.

You can fix that one person who will thank you forever and ever at a time!!!

Hint...Don't take anybody young out for a first ride unless it is planing on reaches weather. You might sell old fogeys on the sbtle enjoyment of a gentle breeze pushing teh baot silently through the stil waters.

But a killer reach is a killer reach and waves choking the person only add to the excitement.

saye me anyway

fred

Yeah, but most of my freinds would prefer to do other stuff and absolutley no one sees it as a sport. They see it more as a rich old white mans sport which i have to say that i know very few laser sailors that are rich. And they dont understand that even with light winds with a group of people it can still be fun. The saddest thing is their lack of understanding.:( And unfortunatley our sailing center is closed for this week due to the director taking a break from a long summer of camp.

jwisenb495 said:
Florida, isn't that the retirement center for the US?:confused:
LOL, Yes Florida is pretty much a big giant retirement home (AKA: Gods Waiting Room). But we are home to the olympic training center for sailing in miami and the biggest youth regatta in the nation (Orange Bowl) and the big rat they call mickey mouse. so we do have some good stuff plus we have the beach which alot of places dont have. But it stinks when you have to deal with increased traffic from overly opinionated snowbirds who think they are locals cause they come down every winter and complain alot about hurricanes and things of that nature. Plus the ton of tourists and snowbirds we have to deal with can be very rude and inconsiderate.

And yes if you come to florida i am talking to you but if you aren't rude or bad at driving im just saying what not to do but i really wouldnt expect rude things from laser sailors or bad driving because i know you wouldn't drive badly towing your beloved laser. Sorry if im getting a little off topic this is just how i feel.

Hilarious posts... I truly agree that people love sailing, just few are lucky enough to get exposed to it. I take people sailing all the time, and encourage them to take the Laser out by themseleves.

It's interesting, Our cottage is on a very tiny lake, maybe a half mile across, the wind swirls natily around the edges and frankly, it's not the best lake in the world for sailing.

The cottage came with an old 9' Barnett Max (anyone know where I can get parts?)... I half-arse got it rigged (hmmm... that looks right) and went sailing for the first time four years ago... then I bought a Laser with a buddy and we have sailed nearly every suitable weekend since. Usually with both boats out.

Funny, after we started doing that I noticed that there were people getting their dusty boats out of garages... includeing another laser named jaws. Once seekend last summer there were four sailboats and a wind-surfer on the lake at once.

I hate to be all sentimental about it, but I know that all it took was people to watch me and my friends have fun sailing for them to remember that the lake isnt all about gas, motors, skis and sore muscles...

I was just trying to figure out why your friends don't consider it a sport. You have all the valid arguments, maybe they figure since everytime you go out you don't have people cheering you on.

Gimme a 3
Gimme a 2
Gimme a 7

What's that spell??

One comment about Fred in a cheerleader outfit and I will go Brodie on you!!!

Howdy
Did someone ring my bell.... Betcha y'all thought I fell off the planet...... Just back from Alaska.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

P.S. anyone new want to go sailing? This won't be my first newbie rodeo.

sailor327 said:
Yeah, but most of my freinds would prefer to do other stuff and absolutley no one sees it as a sport. They see it more as a rich old white mans sport which i have to say that i know very few laser sailors that are rich. And they dont understand that even with light winds with a group of people it can still be fun. The saddest thing is their lack of understanding.:( And unfortunatley our sailing center is closed for this week due to the director taking a break from a long summer of camp.

Unfortunantely, it is the same for me down here in Australia. Most of my mates reckon its a 'queer' game for rich people but i think this is not true. I prefer to refer to sailing as an expensive sport after all, if you're rich and you get into sailing, you spend your money on a hull, sail and rig and by the end of all that purchasing (depending on what class your in) you mightnt be so rich anymore.

Back