Take 2 Sunfish—Make Catamaran?

My brother-in-law has a Snark - it can't even come close to keeping up with a Sunfish.

Sounds like a good deal to me, however, I'll be at Bow Lake the next two Sundays, and I would not be able to bring a Sunfish (I don't have one:)). I could come up for a day during the week (it's about an hour or so from my house) and bring my Phantom.

You're welcome to bring your Phantom. I've checked, and the Portsmouth Rating is better for Sunfish. :p (But that may be a "numbers" thing :rolleyes: ).

:( In our already too-short season, I've procrastinated a week already—but this morning, put out a possible mid-week scheduling:

August 28, 29?

September 5, 6, 7th?

September 11th (Patriot's Day) the 12th, and/or 13th?

Except for the Labor Day weekend, other weekends are "good" through the month of September. Surely, the Sunfishamaran can stretch its legs here on Lake Winnipesaukee!

Shameless plug follows :cool:: Overnights in the little cottage are still the same per night and—except for my regular tenants' dates—that offer extends through next season!

So that's four of us. :) September 5th was everybody-else's choice! :D

One will be here a day early, and stay in Wolfeboro. The other (and me) already lives here.

Off-street parking near the ramp is available—I'll check for what's available—exactly. Pick me up, and I can drive your car/trailer to within 200' of the sailing activities. Your sail from the launch ramp is through some variable wind directions, and is about 1½ miles. A powerboat-tow is available.

The rest of the details should be conducted by PM or telephone, but others who want to participate are welcome to
join us.
Fullscreen capture 8252012 90018 PM.jpg

Wow, this sounds like a big event, I might be around here for this,.... wait,...... I'm already here. The weather is not looking to good for the 5th, Issac is coming to visit with us.

:confused: Three minutes ago, I just sent off a message to the participants about this awful weather! Another three minutes pass, and the sun comes out, and the wind picks up. We're going to play this regatta "by ear". ;)

It can change...this IS New England!:rolleyes:

"Rain-date" will be next week some time.

There is car and trailer parking across the street—as above—but a dolly will work at my place, it turns out.

The "planets were aligned" for a Regatta of at least five Sunfish sailors. :cool:

The "rainy" weather turned out sunny, but all of the other Sunfish sailors for my "Regatta" advised me they were going to stay home. :oops: (Except for my Navy buddy, who had the longest drive to get here!) :confused: We decided to go shopping in Wolfeboro, instead of seeing what the weather was going to do. What appeared from mid-morning onward, was open and blue skies—NO rain—not one drop! :rolleyes:

The offer is still open for the Sunfishamaran, but we'll have to postpone anything else for next season—as I'll be closing up this "two-season" cottage soon.

Maybe try again next June? :)

Went out on Lake Winnie yesterday with Light and Variable Winds in light and variable wind. Great weather and great hospitality. Could have used a bit more air movement :) The lake is a bit quieter this time of year, not too many power boats out.

Went out on Lake Winnie yesterday with Light and Variable Winds in light and variable wind. Great weather and great hospitality. Could have used a bit more air movement :) The lake is a bit quieter this time of year, not too many power boats out.

That's worth repeating! ;)

A nearby beach is turning into a better location for launches than the "official" launch-ramp. I'm already "thinking-forward" to May...:)

BTW: My user-name was inspired from NOAA "continuous-loop-broadcasts", where NOAA's Robo-Voice says "Light and Variable Winds" in an almost musical way. We do get some winds here to inspire even the most jaded Sunfish sailor!

Interesting thing about the beach launch. It worked well for me because I have a dolly and there is room to get by the chained off entrance to the beach. One other thing I noticed is there are two channel markers not far from the beach. About half way to the markers there is a submerged bolder almost dead center between the two (so much for markers). If there had been more chop I might not have seen it.

I'm tempted to go get this, but the amount of work required to separate the hulls and get them back to their original condition is probably more than I want to take on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Sunfishamaran was not a success.
http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4130167395.html

"The battle" was all uphill, so maybe he lost interest: winter is approaching, and there are plenty of barns in New Hampshire. :cool:

I'd reduce the angle, extend the hulls further apart, and hope that nobody notices the extra width on the highway. ;) (Like I did with my 10-foot wide Matrix catamaran in Florida, miles and miles of travel). :p

The posting on Craigslist has been deleted. Wonder what happened to the Sunfishermaran. Maybe the builder will show up here and let us know.

Back