TackTick Microcompass

dphoye

Last fall I sailed a local regatta and with the permission of the rest of the competitors I used the TackTick Microcompass on my Sunfish. I found the digital readout to be very convenient and easy to read than a standard card compass. For those of you not familiar with this compass , it does not have any memory capabilites to store heading, nor does it give any indication of lift or header information. It simply gives you your current heading as a digital readout and has a race timer feature for the start that would not be any different than a standard digital wrist watch.

After that regatta I went to a second regatta in which 48 Sunfish were racing, I used my card compass which is a Nexus compass typically used in the Laser class. It is also a very good compass and is quite stable; however, it is my opinion the the digital readout of the TackTick required less time to read. USSCA President Vic Manning was present at the second regatta and we had a conversation regarding the two compasses and the Sunfish Class rules regarding the issue and I believe we came to an understanding about the merits of each.

On his suggestion I am posting this thread as a topic. I realize this may be a sensitive issue with many class members, but I feel that it would be beneficial for the class rules to revisit this subject and perhaps if there enough positive responses the TackTick Microcompass could be allowed by the Sunfish class. It is not my intention to the rule changed to allow any electronic navigational device, nor should the compass store information or indicate lift/header information like some other sailing compasses. The TackTick Microcompass does not fall in this category and as such it is my opinion that is should be allowed by the Sunfish class rules.

I would like to hear the opinions of other Sunfish Class members...

>>>>>>>>>
The TackTick Microcompass does not fall in this category and as such it is my opinion that is should be allowed by the Sunfish class rules.
<<<<<<<<<<

I will let others speak as to whether it falls into the header/lift/electronic category/etc issues, but i, for one, would welcome it's availability..

Brian

Vote yes for digital compasses for the sunfish class. I believe before the cost was quite more than a card compass however I believe the trend is now they are priced close to the same. Any way a compass with large numbers would fill a couple of earlier posts on this forum. Watches with large numbers and Tim Polaski's post about the compass. (I know to the weekend warriors out there this ? might be hard to understand but many people who race sunfish also own other boats with this equipment already)

If the digital compass is allowed soon, I will be quite upset as I just sold my tactick (cheaply to a friend) to obtain a class legal standard card compass!

I DO think the electronic compass is better and much easier to read though.

Lets work out the rudder blade change first. I think that is more important than the compass issue for now.

Tim

My motivation for this post is to gain some perspective of other class members on allowing the TackTick Microcompass. The redesign of the rudder is well underway and I think we will probably see this change in the near future based on what I read in my latest issue of the Windward Leg Class Newsletter.

I dont see that allowing an electronic compass has any relation with the rudder redesign and no one has even raised the compass issue to the USSCA rules committee. John Deimel wrote it well that many of us already own equipment that we should be able to use on multiple boats. Great point that I forgot to mention in my original posting.

Tim...as former JY15 owner and racer I am sure you can relate to premise.

Last Fall I sailed at a local regatta with the permission of the rest of the fleet using a Super Sunfish rig (for those of you who remember, the Super uses a rig similar to the Laser and it was manufactured in the early 80s.) I found the rig easier to sail and control, with the multiple options available (a real boomvang, cunningham and outhaul instead of what we jury-rig on a regular Sunfish.) In addition, it was faster, despite having a bit less sail area. The total cost of the Super rig is probably about equivalent to a regular Sunfish rig, or maybe $150 more, about the price of a digital compass.

Vic Manning was not at the regatta, but I should bring this up with him. I think that to really improve the Sunfish, we should stop fooling with piddling changes to the rudder and compass, and instead switch to the Super rig. For the cost of a regular rig and maybe the cost of a digital compass, you will have a much higher performing boat. :D

Beldar

I am aware that the rudder is probably coming. And BTW, thanks to Tom Whitehurst for doing the work (and having the fun). I think that is good for the boat and, Dave, you are right, it does not relate to your post with the exception of outdating some equipment. Now on to the subject...

Personally, I like digital compasses and think they should be allowed even if they do keep track of headers and lifts. A rotating dial on a card compass or even a mark with a grease pencil can essentially do the same thing (keeping track of your course). It is just easier to process when the computer does the math for you. Less worrying about math to get the information and more worrying about how to use the information. My only beef is that I just sold my digital for half of what I paid because it is not allowed. Would I go and buy a digital if it became allowed, you bet.

One more thing, I got a card compass for $50.00. Much cheaper than an electronic. Tacktic micro = $450 at layline.

Now as far as the super rig.....well, no I won't even touch that.

Tim I will take your response as positive support. Thanks for your constructive feedback.

As for Beldars comments...never mind. I wont waste my time typing a response.

I think that digital compasses should be allowed. They are much easier to read than the small analog compasses that Sunfish sailors typically use.

If the class really thinks that digital technology is either unfair or somehow not in keeping with the gold old 1950s spirit of Sunfish racing then they should ban digital watches too.

The Super uses a rig similar to the Laser and it was manufactured in the early 80s.) I found the rig easier to sail and control, with the multiple options available (a real boomvang, cunningham and outhaul instead of what we jury-rig on a regular Sunfish.) In addition, it was faster, despite having a bit less sail area.

That sounds like a great idea. it's about time we brought the Sunfish into the 20th century. Where can I buy a Super rig?

I really like the tack tick. Easy to read and the built in timer is great. I had one on a previous boat and found that we never used the lift and header functions as it was too much trouble to keep resetting it for various wind speeds, shifts and so on. The micro is perfect.

There is nothing in the current rules that limits the cost of a compass. Note that the rules even allow two compass'. By the time you buy a good quality compass and a large digit stop watch, you will have spent as much money.

There is no compelling reason why everyone will have to go out and buy a new compass as there is no additional information provided. I probably wouldn't until I need a new compass anyway. There is no good reason why the class should prohibit using an electronic compass.

Back