Tacking with the longest tiller extension

Far away

I'm pretty sure the laser I have has the longest tiller extension available - it's one of those carbon versions. However it's so long that when tacking the end will not pass through the corner formed between the forward mainsheet block and boom without either pushing the tiller away excessively or letting the mainsheet out far too much. Both methods seem likely to slow tacks so is there another way to get the tiller extension across the boat?

I have no idea of how you could do that, however, my boat came with a hugely long tiller extension too so I took it off and swapped it for a telescopic one. That way you can shorten it if you need to before you tack.

thats pretty damn long, mine just fits through.

trick is to pass the extension through when the rudder is turned

when i got my laser it came with a carbon fibre tiller extention that was waay too long. I contiplated cutting the extention off at the end to make it shorter, but then after sailing longer i got use to the length. The trick i think is that when you tack push the tiller across and then just like flick your wrist and it will put the tiller on a different angle which for me got it across. Not sure if it will work with your situation, but its worth a try. :) Just takes practice getting use to the length. There are some days when you will hate it, and there are some days when you will LOVE the length! Good Luck!

OK I could not help myself.. Sounds like your just trying to brag about it. Anyways. How long is it? There is a limit on length but it usually has to do with how you use it. Do you switch hands behind your back as you tack or after? The technique is the key.

Steve.

The trick is as you puch your rudder hard over you follow through with your tiller extension and grab the other side of the boat(gunwale) then change sides. Then change hands.

Just one thing Faraway, when people say "PUSH" the rudder through it doesn't mean actually exert significant force on the rudder. That will slow the boat. Instead, roll the boat to leeward to turn, and allow the rudder to take up an angle as it follows the boat.

No, Fuzzy Metal, I'm not bragging. I'm totally secure about the length of my tiller extension... er, anyway... :eek:

No, it was a genuine question as the extension I have at the moment seems far too long. To give everyone some idea, it's a carbon extension that came with a carbon tiller. When the boom is fully sheeted in - two blocked - and the tiller dead centre, the extension when angled at the forward boom mainsheet block passes this point by almost half a foot.

I should make it clear I haven't sailed this boat yet. The laser I sailed previously had the regular aluminium tiller and extension. I had no difficulty tacking this version as the extension was just shy of the forward main block when pointed at it. I was able to angle the extension up as I stepped across the boat and then change hands after I'd sat down on the new windward side.

To do a similar movement with this longer extension I think I'll either have to let out lots of main - slow - or use way too much tiller - slow - or I'll not get the extension through that gap.:confused:

A couple of things. First of all, you should be playing the main during your tack. As you start it, give the main a big pump, then ease it (if it's 2-blocked, it will spring up and should give you enough room to pass it through), then sheet back in as you finish the tack.
just try sailing with it, im sure it'll be easier in the water than it looks.

Yeah, I need to get out and sail with it - it's just on the cold side at the moment!!

Just to clarify, when you say pump the main prior to the tack, is that even the case when your two blocked? So, if I've got this right, you'd ease the main, pump it in tight and then ease again to tack?

Far away said:
Yeah, I need to get out and sail with it - it's just on the cold side at the moment!!

Just to clarify, when you say pump the main prior to the tack, is that even the case when your two blocked? So, if I've got this right, you'd ease the main, pump it in tight and then ease again to tack?

You could...It applies more to boats that you can't 2-block, but if you aren't 2-blocked, then pump it in and ease during the tack. If you're already 2-blocked, just ease it.

Far away said:
No, it was a genuine question as the extension I have at the moment seems far too long. To give everyone some idea, it's a carbon extension that came with a carbon tiller. When the boom is fully sheeted in - two blocked - and the tiller dead centre, the extension when angled at the forward boom mainsheet block passes this point by almost half a foot.

that should be fine, when you push the tiller away from you while tacking, the extension should fit through fine

i thought you meant it was like a foot or more past the mainsheet:eek:

laser2_9804 said:
... however, my boat came with a hugely long tiller extension too so I took it off and swapped it for a telescopic one..
Sorry to say that, but that sort of telescoping-tillerextension is not the one Laserites should use - Can be dangerous, if suddenly (and unexpected), that stick makes itself longer... I guess there are some nice stories about that around that. :)
Mine is a fat one with a nice grip (from a rubbertube for the handlebar for bikes) and is about 125 cm long. The usage, as already told here above, is only an affair of practice (if the LooserLu learned it, you sure also will learn it `Far away´).
Ciao
LooserLu

i personally have a fatso carbon tiller extension and i just got back from a clinic with Doug Hart (2005 North American Masters Champion) and he said the trick to it is that you cut it down an inch if you can go sailing with it and cut it down inch by inch until its perfect.

Back