Tacking Angle

squash

Does anyone here know the tacking angle of a Sunfish? I guess another way to ask this is: how large is the "no-sail zone" when going upwind in a Sunfish?

I know it varies with wind speed, but if anyone has some real numbers or knowledge, I would be greatful.

"Pinching" will get you up to 35°, but you may find yourself not getting anywhere!

Barnacles on the bottom won't allow you 45°. Towing another boat behind is even a worse situation for a sailboat—though you may have a good angle.

You see, it's too big a question to answer. ;)

As was pointed out, the tacking angle is dependent on many factors. But I would say that sailing 45 degrees to the wind is possible without pinching. On port tack, the sail is less efficient and the angle could be bigger.

The next time you sail, look backwards at the track your rudder made in the water after tacking. In lighter winds, the angle should look pretty square (around 90 degrees)

In higher winds (>15 mph or so), your tacking angle is supposed to be a bit bigger (around ~100 degrees) in order to 'power up' (and not get stuck in irons).

Back