Super Sunfish

dothedew

i am looking to diy a super sunfish with a more modern sunfish.
any help would be sooooo help full

Not sure how much faster you can go upwind, but a bowsprit and asymmetrical chute might speed up the reaches. Not sure attaching the chute head to the top of the mast would give you a big enough sail, and attaching the head to the top of the gaff might both blanket the chute and break the gaff, but it might be worth experimenting.

I JUST LEARNED SOMETHING THAT CHANGES ALL OF THIS. I think.
My grandfather has a bunch of old parts to boats lying around and while trying to think of a way to but a bigger sail on a sunfish I realized why change not just use the existing mast. I ran around the yard and grabbed the upper mast for a laser and a sunfish mast and... it fits! for a full rig laser, the lower part is about 3 inches shorter then a sunfish mast so I could cut that to size after I account for mast step depth, because i want the sail to be the same hight as if it were on a laser.

i have a few concerns and one is the strength of the sunfish mast, how would you reinforce it? i was thinking of getting the tubing to fit inside the mast snugly, but i wanted to hear what others were thinking.

A Laser upper mast and a Sunfish mast will bend differently
I hate to discourage innovation, but what you will end up with, if anything, will be slower than a race-rigged (updated) Sunfish.
Just my opinion, of course...

W
A Laser upper mast and a Sunfish mast will bend differently
I hate to discourage innovation, but what you will end up with, if anything, will be slower than a race-rigged (updated) Sunfish.
Just my opinion, of course...
. While you may be right, he’ll have a lot of fun doing this and it might be faster.

Back