Super Sunfish traveler bar suction cup workaround

cbr2wheelin

I am brand new to sailing. My dad came across a free sunfish which everything except rudder, centerboard, and tiller and gave it to me. I am making the centerboard and rudder from African mahogany and then the tiller from ash for only about $80. I needed to replace a few other small pieces of hardware and spend the next many evenings cleaning, polishing, repairing, installing, and enjoying the process.

After scouring the internet, I was unable to locate any suction cup ends or ideas how to replace those suction cup ends on the traveller bar. When searching for wet/dry sanding paper this evening, I bumped into a Powertech rubber bar I have which is used for cleaning my belt sander. It is a bit softer than that old suction cup rubber, so I used a caliper to measure the maximum suction cup thickness (21mm) and cut the rubber bar. More compression should make up that difference. I was able to preserve the aluminum traveller bar inserts with the screws. I placed them through the brackets, added a new nut, used a drill press to drill out the proper depth of the rubber for the nut to fit into and compressed and slid everything into place. I think it should do the job!

I still have to add the hardware after polishing the top, but the images should give you an idea what the result will look like. Hopefully this will help someone else out down the road. Happy sailing.
IMG20220516201254.jpg
IMG20220516214320.jpg
IMG20220516214457.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20220516213736.jpg
    IMG20220516213736.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 29
I’m not familiar with this bar, what is its purpose?
I’ve only been repairing sunfish for a few years now, and have had only a dozen or so of them, but I have never seen this before.
Is it used in place of a deck block?
Edit:
My reading comprehension or lack there of strikes again.
Just noticed “super” in the thread title.

Last edited:
Yes, it is used with a block. Instead of attaching the sheet in the rear, the sheet is all up front. I assume from the tackle it should be easier/lighter to pull. I also assume this is for what was called a "race rig" and I hope someone might correct me if I am wrong.

Which sail rig do you have for your sunfish? The cleats on the splash rail and traveler fitting are for a super sunfish sail but aren't used with the standard rig. A race rigged sunfish starts with a race sail on standard booms and using the traveler at the stern. There are more upgrades.

Last edited:
Which sail rig do you have for your sunfish? The cleats on the splash rail and traveler fitting are for a super sunfish sail but aren't used with the standard rig.

Maybe this post will help. This is the best info I have found for rigging the Super Sunfish race option. Haven't sailed with it yet. Waiting for the mahogany and ash to come in so I can make it sailable.

I believe, if you look at the traveler bar image from that list I linked to, it is rigged wrong. There is a hole at each end of the traveler bar bracket, so it gets know on the outside, slip the free end through the hole, through one of the two pulleys and into the large black cleat above that bracket. I also believe the heaviest tackle (between mast and lower bar) is roped upside down. Keep tackle as shown, but rope should come out of the bottom, not the top.

Last edited:
Like the Force 5, the Super Sunfish was supposed to compete with the Laser. It is a nice rig; what is good about it is that sailing a 'Super' will give you quite a different experience compared to the 'normal' Sunfish.

PS: A more accurate history can be found in the Sunfish Bible.

Like the Force 5, the Super Sunfish was supposed to compete with the Laser. It is a nice rig; what is good about it is that sailing a 'Super' will give you quite a different experience compared to the 'normal' Sunfish.

PS: A more accurate history can be found in the Sunfish Bible.

Do you know where in the Sunfish Bible that is speaks of the Super Sunfish? I am not seeing it in there.

Back