Super Sunfish Rig and sail value

JaninaP

Just bought a 1976 Windflite 14 that also came with an extra super sunfish rig and sail. Not sure if I really have use for it. I've never tried it. Was thinking of maybe selling it so I can get a dolly instead. Are these rigs sought after at all? Any thoughts on what the value might be?
THanks

Might depend where you are as the mast cannot be shipped. I have had several of these rigs and have either sold with a Sunfish including both standard and SSF parts. I am in New England. Best value if sail is in good shape (no rips or repairs) might be a couple hundred dollars.

Might depend where you are as the mast cannot be shipped. I have had several of these rigs and have either sold with a Sunfish including both standard and SSF parts. I am in New England. Best value if sail is in good shape (no rips or repairs) might be a couple hundred dollars.

THanks sailcraftri. I'm in New England too (CT). How did you like the SSF rig? Is it worth holding on to and playing around with it?

Here are some pics. Is this the SSF conversion kit? Original owner, bought late 70s, early 80s and stored it in his garage. Don't think it was used very much.

Attachments

• 20180529_120547.jpg
    20180529_120547.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • 20180529_120145.jpg
    20180529_120145.jpg
    798 KB · Views: 123
Seems like it would be fun to use. Do you have the SSF daggerboard? It’s much better than the original Windflite board, so don’t part with it!!!

Seems like it would be fun to use. Do you have the SSF daggerboard? It’s much better than the original Windflite board, so don’t part with it!!!
No I think I just have what looks like a regular sunfish center board but I honestly didn't look at it that closely. Then again I have no idea what the windflite centerboard looked like :)

THanks sailcraftri. I'm in New England too (CT). How did you like the SSF rig? Is it worth holding on to and playing around with it?
The Dandelion was a give-away. ;)

This site has just added a feature I've seen on only one other site: one terrific magnifier. If you click on an image, your cursor is presented icons at the upper right corner. The icon with the single arrow makes an image that you can magnify—a whole lot. (The "X" returns one to the text message).

That rare Super-Sunfish sail still has creases, and appears unused! Since timing is everything, you might have to wait for a buyer, but $200 sounds low. :eek: If you received the original Windflite sail, its logo is a triangle with a line across it:

1976 Sunfish or AMFlite

There is a Super Sunfish sail and spars on ebay right now, starting bid $300. I think that is a fair price, so depends on how fast you want to get it to the next owner.

Here are some pics. Is this the SSF conversion kit? Original owner, bought late 70s, early 80s and stored it in his garage. Don't think it was used very much.
I'd be interested in buying your super sunfish sail, if it's in good shape. Mine is about 30 years old, and getting tattered. But I don't need the mast or boom. Interested??

Trying to get my rigging correct on this super sunfish I saved. Can anybody point me in the right directions for resources? I saw the picture above but need more details. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 2.46.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 2.46.07 PM.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 112
Attached are the rigging pdf's I have...

Attachments

• Super_Sunfish_Rigging_Instructions_p1.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 136
  • Super_Sunfish_Rigging_Instructions_p2.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Super_Sunfish_Rigging_Instructions_p3a.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Super_Sunfish_Rigging_Instructions_p3b.pdf
    12.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Super_Sunfish_Rigging_Instructions_p4.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 76
Some pictures of a SSF I owned...

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    422.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    574.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    530.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1044.JPG
    IMG_1044.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    439.2 KB · Views: 83
So, I'm assuming (yeah, I know) that the SSF rig has better performance, ie faster. I have to say, I've been curious for a while but it seems to not have caught on. Maybe at that point people thought might as well just get a Laser (?). What are some thoughts about this? That is a nice looking rig sailcraftri has...

The original 'Super' rig had a traveler bar across the front of the foot space.
If that bar is missing, you can rig as shown in the images posted by sailcraftri

The original 'Super' rig had a traveler bar across the front of the foot space.
If that bar is missing, you can rig as shown in the images posted by sailcraftri
Yes, this one has the brackets and the tube mounts, but the tube is missing, so rigging it that way could be a quick return to water fix.
Thanks.

I am also looking for help refurbishing and old SSF. Mine is a 1976 AMF Super Sunfish. It has the traveler bar show in the manual shared by Sailcraftri. I took an inventory of what I am missing based on the manual diagrams. It looks like the main elements I am missing are:

43181 Outhaul Shackle
44126 Outhaul Hook
43319 Fiddle Block
65139 Mainsheet
43314 Mainsheet Block/Cleat
43115 Vang Assembly

Any advice on locating a resource for those items? It's very hard to tell much about them from the low res scans on the old B&W manual PDF.

Here is what I have...

outhaul hook with shackle $15

3:1 boom vang with rope Harken becket block with Laser fiddle block with v jam $25

4:1 boom vang with Harken double block and Ronstan fiddle with becket and v jam and rope $25

mainsheet 25 feet of 5/16” (was for a Force 5 which had a similar mainsheet set up) $25

mainsheet blocks consisting of Harken double block (for boom) and Schaefer fiddle with becket and cam cleat and snap shackle attachment ( I don’t have any with just shackle) $40

Shipping $18 Priority Mail with insurance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    907.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Thank you, Sailcraftri! Question: Are you offering two options for the Vang Assembly (3:1 or 4:1)?

3:1 boom vang with rope Harken becket block with Laser fiddle block with v jam $25
4:1 boom vang with Harken double block and Ronstan fiddle with becket and v jam and rope $25

If so, which do you recommend considering my 13 yo son and I are beginner sailors?

Shipping is assuming you buy more than one item. If smaller package shipping will be less.

Thank you, Sailcraftri! Question: Are you offering two options for the Vang Assembly (3:1 or 4:1)?

If so, which do you recommend considering my 13 yo son and I are beginner sailors?

Back