Super Sunfish is Superb again in HD.

Great video - looks like you have great sailing conditions. If you want to go even faster, you can pull your board up partway on the reaches. Sail On!!

Great job on the restore!! A couple of questions. I noticed you had both the Super Sunfish rig and the standard rig. Did you notice that much of a performance difference between the two? Supposedly the standard Sunfish rig performs better. Second question, what paint did you use? Did you use Interlux Brightside?

Great job on the restore!! A couple of questions. I noticed you had both the Super Sunfish rig and the standard rig. Did you notice that much of a performance difference between the two? Supposedly the standard Sunfish rig performs better. Second question, what paint did you use? Did you use Interlux Brightside?

I can't say that I did notice any huge improvements in one vs. the other.
Also, a hard question for me to answer since my Super Sunfish sail is more weathered than the Class legal Sunfish sail. It is just a blast to sail both rigs on the new and improved hull. It is now faired, smooth and fast. It is almost like having two different sailboats.

YES. I used Interlux Brightside on the deck (Yellow Y4152) and cockpit (Largo Blue Y4100) and Epifanes (Orange) on the hull. These paints were wonderful to work with!

I want to thank you all for your kind words. It was a really fun project!
When you are having fun, it's not work.

loved it! great job on the restoration, and the video was sweet. neat to see you sailing it with both of the rigs.

This is an awesome video. I have watched it several times now. My Dad just picked up a super sunfish in CHQ, NY for me . I'm in NC and am wondering if I can readily use the old rigs from prior sunfish boat - it appears that the super mast and the regular mast readily fit in the step from you video - did you make any adjustments in your refurbishment to enable both to fit or are they the same diameter?

This is an awesome video. I have watched it several times now. My Dad just picked up a super sunfish in CHQ, NY for me . I'm in NC and am wondering if I can readily use the old rigs from prior sunfish boat - it appears that the super mast and the regular mast readily fit in the step from you video - did you make any adjustments in your refurbishment to enable both to fit or are they the same diameter?
Both masts fit in the mast tube. No problem :)

Thank you Jessica for your kind words about my video. Sorry it took me too long to respond. Life sometimes in the way of sailing.
I took my super sunfish out just yesterday and what a blast I had.

Great job on all aspects! Thanks for sharing. I just finished a refurb on a 1983 Sunfish, a little less involved than yours but very rewarding to bring a Sunfish back to life.

Fast forward to 2019! I hope you still own the boat and sail it. We live in Rarotonga, Cook Islands and the kids are currently busy restoring an old Fleetfish, which was a NZ variation of Super Sunfish. Would you mind sharing the Super rig dimensions? (sail measurements, mast height and diameter, boom length and diameter) There are hardly any of these boats left on the Southern Hemisphere, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 59

Back