Super porpoise?

Nicholson58

I’d Rather Be Sailing My Tornado
When I was 8 or so I learned to sail on a Super Porpoise. Looks like a Sunfish but I think a bit bigger. What ever happened to these? I never had much trouble whupping a Sunfish so what happened?

With a Super Porpoise, you had more sail area with equivalent mass.

I had a Porpoise II, which was narrower and used the standard rig. Maybe I had an advantage on downwind legs? IDK. There were several improvements that should have found their way to Sunfish, but Sunfish was already established as a market success.

Some differences were subject to easy damage, like a rubber seal around the boat and a lead-weighted rudder. :(

I had a Super Porpoise in the early 1970's. It washed up (damaged) on the beach of a girl's summer camp near Glen Lake, Michigan. The camp director gave it to me and I cartopped it back to Hamilton, NY, repaired it and hauled it back to Michigan to a family cottage near Crystal Lake the following summer. We sailed her on Crystal Lake for several summers and I had an exciting encounter with lightning with her one August afternoon - Duckworks Magazine - An Encounter with Lightning

It was a good boat, very stable, simple rig with a true self draining cockpit. Compared to a Sunfish, it was heavy but with ample sail area, it was faster than the local Sunfish especially in a good breeze. It ended up being crushed by ice falling off the cottage. Eventually it ended up in Lake Michigan where the local Benzie County Sheriff found it, and contacted me through the Michigan registratiion numbers to make sure I was not drowned in the adventure!

They were made in Dowagiac, Michigan, and although they are no longer being built, there are lots of them still sailing, mostly in the Midwest.

Alan Glos

Last edited:
I still have a Super Porpoise - hanging from my barn rafters, haven't sailed it in probably 10+ years.
I ended up buying a Sunfish with a trailer (started out just needing a trailer, opted for the newer Sunfish for easier access to replacement parts).
Then I bought an even newer Sunfish. Then a Minifish.

One of these springs, I'll get it down, clean it up a bit and sell it.

I still have a Super Porpoise - hanging from my barn rafters, haven't sailed it in probably 10+ years.
I ended up buying a Sunfish with a trailer (started out just needing a trailer, opted for the newer Sunfish for easier access to replacement parts).
Then I bought an even newer Sunfish. Then a Minifish.

One of these springs, I'll get it down, clean it up a bit and sell it.

Keep me in mind

I can’t think of anything on that boat that cannot be fixed DIY or substituting with available stuff. Even the class sail is readily sourced. Where is the boat?

Use the "Search" magnifying lens to tease out Super Porpoise threads like this one:

After a "Search" look-see, you'd think this forum was for
Super Porpoise sailors! :rolleyes:

I have one too, in New Jersey. Got it for free because it had some holes through it. A little fiberglass, a little paint, learning to sail, and I'm all set.
Haven't sailed the last few years for various reasons. one of which was having to find a house and move. The house I did buy is about a mile from a nice lake, so looking to get it out more in the spring.

...We sailed her on Crystal Lake for several summers and I had an exciting encounter with lightning with her one August afternoon - Duckworks Magazine - An Encounter with Lightning
Alan Glos
I just ready your story about dealing with a squall and lightning on Crystal Lake, MI. I suspect your decision to turtle the boat while waiting for the storm to pass may have saved your life. Did anyone post any responses about your decision?

BTW, I have to agree with your assessment about Crystal Lake being a dinghy sailor's paradise. It is such a fabulous place to sail: 6x16 miles with a steady W to E wind coming off Lake Michigan. I bought my first Sunfish, Ruby, a '71 from a guy on Crystal Lake and did my first test sail on that very lake. My only complaint about the lake is the public boat launch requires navigating a fairly lengthy maze of boat docks before you get to clear air. (You probably remember that boat, as you helped me retrofit Ruby's old style rudder to a beautiful new style rudder that you carved out of an old mahogany daggerboard.)

Weston,

I did get some interesting feedback about how I handled the lightning issue. Most thought the "turtle the boat and get in the water" decision was the safest move because "a" it reduced the risk of a direct strike to a metal spar and "b" a water strike would disapate quickly and might jolt you but not kill you. Fortunately neither happened!

Yes, Crystal Lake in Michigan is about as good as it gets for small boat sailing. There is another public launch on the south side of the lake about 3-4 miles east of the Congregational Assembly area on the south west corner of the lake where M-22 goes south to Frankfort - much better access point.

I am glad that the rudder blade I carved out worked for you. Great fun to make and you can make a better hydrofoil than the Class legal blade design.

Alan Glos

Back