Super Porpoise

Kimberly Ford

I've j just purchased a 1972 Super Porpoise with no prior knowledge of them. I'm assuming the Sunfish class is where I belong for all things Porpoise correct? I'm just getting started but wanted to shout out to any other SP owners out there.
wink.gif

Kimberly Ford

Kimberly,

You are indeed at the right place for all things "board boat" and that includes the Sunfish class and what are usually called "Sunfish clones" like the Porpoise and the Super Porpoise. Another good site is the Yahoo Sunfish_Sailor site (Google it) and they have good files and photos on the Porpoise brand of boats. The Yahoo site is free to join, and if you get on it and click on "Files" and then "Sunfish Clones", you can see some good photos of the SP.

I owned a Super Porpoise of about the same vintage as yours and sailed it in on Crystal Lake in Michigan near Frankfort, MI and not too far away from the plant in Dowgiac (sp?) Michigan where the Porpoises were built. The Super Porpoise was heavier than a standard Sunfish but very stable and about as fast as a Sunfish, especially up wind. The other nice feature is the SP's self-bailing cockpit that always keeps the cockpit dry even if the floor of the cockpit is a little higher for my taste. The SPs were well built, and many have survived from the 1970s to the present.

Enjoy the SP, and feel free to post here with any questions you might have.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Alan,
Thanks for your reply, info and the great sites. One rather basic question I have at the moment is regarding lines. My SP seems to have a combo of lines and we don't have a local sailing supply store here. I would like to have the boat rigged with the proper lines and I was looking at a "package" of race oriented lines for a Sunfish and was wondering if I should bite the bullet or just put it together myself from a local hardware store. Its been years since I sailed and can't recall what makes sailing lines different. Do I choose woven or twisted, poly or a blend etc.?
Tips?
Thanks
Kimberly

Kimberly,

Other than the short lines that attach to the end of the boom and gaff to keep the sail taut, the only other lines are the halyard that is used to hoist the gaff to the top of the mast and the mainsheet that is used to trim the sail in and out. Braided line is better than twisted line (easier on the hands and less likely to kink). You can use 1/4" dia. braided line for the halyard and I would recommend 3/8" or larger braided line for the mainsheet. Use some string to figure out the lengths needed and then measure the strings and buy the actual lines. For the halyard, lay the gaff on the deck and then run the string from the attachment point on the gaff, up to the top of the mast and then down to the deck cleat. Then add about a foot and a half extra for knots and a little slack. For the mainsheet, run the string from the attachment point (on the top of the rudder head, I vaguely recall) then thru the blocks on the bottom of the boom and then run the boom all the way out as if you are on a run and then back to the cockpit. Then add about 4 more feet. Then go to your local West Marine or Boat US store and buy the lines from bult. You will have a choice of several colors.

Enjoy.

Alan Glos

Kimberly,
Welcome! I too have a Super Porpoise, but haven't sailed it in a few years. I bought it for a measly $50 about 10 years ago, but it has some rough spots. I wasn't using it because I didn't have a trailer, so I ended up buying a Sunfish with a trailer, and now use the nicer condition Sunfish more often.

I bought my Super Porpoise just down the road from where Alan sailed his in the upper part of Michigan's lower peninsula.

Alan steered you in the right direction for the Yahoo site, as well as information on the lines. I would also consider APS for buying your lines.

cheers,
tag

Hello to you Alan and Tag,
After much refinishing of the woodwork and redoing of my my lines, I had my maiden voyage yesterday with my new (1972) Super Porpoise. It was wonderful and sailed beautifully. Now to fine tune things a bit. Do you have any idea where I could get a proper brass rudder pin? The pin that came with the boat works but is a "too " long, aluminum, and rather bent. I'm sure this isn't original. It's challenging to slip through the brass rudder holes and it has no safety ring or chain in case it slips out of my hand. I used something similar years ago with my El Toro. I recall a long brass pin that was very strong and straight. I'm not even sure what to call this. Any suggestions?
Let me know
Thanks
Kimberly

Also,
Thanks to you both for your tips so far. I greatly appreciate them though was having a little trouble learning how to use the sight which is why I went silent there for a while.
Kimberly

Back