Super Porpoise Rudder Repair

rs1sensen

I have been working on restoring a Super Porpoise for almost three years now, and am getting exceptionally close to being finished. I just finished refinishing my deck, and have the bottom prepped for paint and just need to paint it. I've also restored some of the hardware, patched up my sail, etc. However, now it's time to talk a new problem: Cracks in my rudder.

The circular weight in the middle of the rudder wiggles a bit, but is still in place, however, I feel like a good hit would knock it out. I have already put too much money into the boat to spring for a new rudder, so want to repair this one to the best of my abilities. Any recommendations for what will hold up the best?

Attachments

• IMG_6305-1.jpg
    IMG_6305-1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6307-2.jpg
    IMG_6307-2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 51
An easy fix would be to cover the area one both sides with one layer of fiberglass cloth and clear resin, then sand and varnish over the area. The glass would make the cracked area stronger and would hold the lead weight in on both sides. It is cheap, simple and inexpensive.

Alan Glos

Let's see some pictures of your boat once you are finished. It took me about 6 months, to get my SP sea worthy again. I repaired several holes and fixed the foam inserts. Also installed two ports. Now I am working on adding a mainsheet swivel/block assembly.

I never had to deal with the rudder crack issue yet, although I have the same weight arrangment.

Brain Correl

I agree - would love to see pics, of both of your efforts so far. I have a Sunfish and a Super Porpoise, and have been focusing my efforts on the Sunfish right now, but will be getting to the SP eventually. My SP has no mainsheet block/hook/anything, so that other thread about the mainsheet block on the cockpit lip is very interesting as well.

I also have a small crack in my SP rudder - I haven't started sanding it down yet, or decided how to repair it.

img0156_127.jpg

Back