Super Porpoise restoration. Need info please. Have pictures

Noah.byt

Hello, im restoring my supor porpoise with new foam. i have it in 2 pieces after cutting all the staples off. I am going to reinforce some parts of it with wood. would like to know where to get a new rub rail. anybody know what the original drain plug for a porpoise was? a picture. And if somebody could please post a picture of the side logo that says supor porpoise, that would be great!!
thank you!
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG

as you can see, ive have a couple leaks.....

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 66
Identical in color to yours, I just sold my Porpoise II this summer. It was very similar to your Super Porpoise, but didn't have a drain plug—anywhere.

The rubrail appeared to be a white vinyl protector that gripped that "stapled" edge. Mine shrank to where it wouldn't hold on at the transom; however, I kept the loose ends as close together as possible using plastic cable-ties.

I'd previously mentioned here that J. C. Whitney & Co. sells very similar items to that rubrail—with imbedded aluminum "claws" that hold firmly. (But only the first time it's attached—using a rubber hammer. I'd still add glue to secure it more firmly).

One design feature I especially liked was the Porpoise's two cockpit drains. The water that would enter the cockpit would disappear down into two ½" drain holes. Below deck, the water was collected by a pair of large black cups imbedded below the cockpit—which then would drain again when the hull was tilted optimally. (Or, when underway, the two fixed scoops, below, could pull the water out under the hull).

I found the existing foam was very susceptible to absorbing water.

That foam would've made a good sponge!

:D

Hello, im restoring my supor porpoise with new foam. i have it in 2 pieces after cutting all the staples off. I am going to reinforce some parts of it with wood. would like to know where to get a new rub rail. anybody know what the original drain plug for a porpoise was? a picture. And if somebody could please post a picture of the side logo that says supor porpoise, that would be great!!
thank you!View attachment 12846
as you can see, I have a couple leaks.....
That was a very ambitious undertaking. :eek:

It's been five years since you've finished this restoration, but I'd be curious if the leaks were found—and what adhesive was used for the Styrofoam blocks. Did you notice if the bow handle was bolted on? (Instead of screwed on, as with Sunfish).

The two cockpit drains appear to require seals at the bottom. (One pictured in the white area below—centered).

Fullscreen capture 112019 34058 AM.bmp.jpg

How did you reconnect the upper and lower daggerboard trunk sections? (Water will climb up into the trunk under pressure from the daggerboard—a possible leak source).

I also found a photo of the vinyl "J. C. Whitney bumper-guard" to use around the formerly-stapled edges. (Although this particular example is a smaller cross-section of trim intended for the Sunfish cockpit). The vinyl trim is secured by sharp aluminum "teeth" embedded in the vinyl, and is best installed using a rubber mallet.

Fullscreen capture 112019 30319 AM.bmp.jpg

Back