Super laser

crazysailor

Me and a friend have decided to fit a laser with

1) an I14 Spinnaker
2) Trap
3) a rather intrically designed sheet and guy system
4) and wheels so we can just sail it right on to shore.

but naturally we don't want to use our own boats so does anybody have any spare parts or at least some discount parts deosn't really matter as long as they work. about hulls we aren't very picky just cheap and no major holes (leaks are o.k. they can be fixed.)

any design concepts we might have over looked please let us know i will scan our Blue prints and post them.

Crazy Sailor

you might want to check the trapezing on a laser forum...
apparently you cant trapeze on a laser as the mast would just bend... but im sure u can get around that...
hydrofoils and a minibar while your at it ???

I'd suggest starting with a Laser-II hull instead of the original Laser. It planes much more easily and is more stable; the mast and mast-step are probably more amenable to your plans, too. Bruce Kirby got it pretty good with the Laser, but Julian Bethwaite designed the Laser-II, and he knows a bit about fast hulls.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

A laser rig won't be able to stand trapezing. and L2 rig already has a trapeze rig and a spinnaker setup, complete with a retrieval system. All you'd have to do is add a bowsprit, new sheet blocks, and a new halyard.

A laser seems a bit heavy to get up on foils. Maybe in high wind.

As for adding a trap, spinnaker, and wheels, I wouldn't do it. The trap will bend the mast and only be necessary in high winds (or with the spinnaker). The spinnaker will be difficult to integrate. It will require a good deal of extra rigging. And once it's complete, it will create massive leeward helm on anything above a run. The wheels will have to be quite large to allow the boat to beach, and it will take a lot of power to push the boat up onto a beach. And unless they retract somehow, they will create drag. Overall, you'll essentially be designing your own boat with the laser as a platform.

Okay... I think we may have determined something and to avoid continuous circular posting, I'll just say it.
It probably wouldn't work, but if you guys get it going we are all wicked impressed. :p It's fun to toy with ideas!

Back