Sunfish Worlds

Old Geezer

Once again the Sunfish class is begging people at the last minute to go to the Worlds. See Sunfish class website for this year's desperate appeal http://www.sunfishclass.org/. And you may well have even received a personal invitation from the class office. Apparently it's hard to persuade enough folk that the honor of representing one's country at a World Championship, spending a week on a tropical island and racing against the best Sunfish sailors in the world is worth the cost, hassle or time-off work to enter.

Wait a minute you may say. I thought you had to "qualify" to go to the Worlds? Win a Regional Championship? Place in the top 7 at the North Americans? Apparently true as you can confirm by going to http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/worldsqualifying.html.

So what's going on? I guess most of the hotshots that qualify don't want to sail in the Worlds. So then they ask the next rank of sailors from those qualifying championships and most of them don't want to go either. And then with a couple of months to go and Vanguard shipping 50 or 100 boats to some paradise island it becomes apparent that there are dozens of vacant spots and they throw it open to anyone.

So what's the solution? Change the format or location or timing of the Worlds to make them more popular to those qualified? Or scrap the whole qualification system and make the Worlds open to the first 100 sailors to sign up?

Ideas please......

i know allot of people are once again not going to the worlds because of the money. it looks like the plane allone is going to cost over 1 grand. than add 43 euros a night (9-10 days), 125 euro entry fee (no meals included from what i understand), and a $250 charter fee and your looking at over 2 grand + meals and other expenses.
idea = somewhere less expensive

I don't know, maybe the $1000+ airfare has something to do with it? Check on expedia or orbitz from your locale. I tried Erie, Cleve., and Pittsburgh. I could never cough up a grand just for airfare to go to the worlds. I'd sooner take the Mrs. and go to europe on vacation for that price.

Great idea to go to the tropics but I think Tim hit the nail on the head. A grand for airfare is way over the top. If they are going to continue down this path they need to host the event at an all-inclusive resort where we sail off the right the beach and when we come in we can have all the drinks we want. That should easily be attainable and keep the price right IMO.

Not only are this worlds too expensive, but they are too long for some. Most people have limited vacation time, and spending a few days a year to go to some regional regatta, plus some time off for the north americans or midwinters is too much. After that, taking a whole week for the worlds is way too much time given to the sunfish in a year. This is more crucial when sailiors are married and their spouse dont sail.

Worlds and all national championships should be cheap to fly to, plus only 4 days long max, using 2 weekend days plus 2 weekdays.

What's going on?

Our friends dphoye and samfish are both registered on this forum as junior members. Yet one is concerned about how much booze he can get at a regatta and the other is weighing how much time his spouse will alllow him to go sailing!

Seriously - I think you both have great points. Thanks for the comments.

Hey there Old Geezer,

While I easily qualify for the Master Class (I am 51), I do not consider myself a master sailor in skill and am not a diehard, must sail or go into withdrawals type sailor either. I have sailed the SF since 1963 and really enjoy it. Both dphoye and samfish have valid points from their perspectives, here is another, time off from work. I am not currently married, so having a wife that doesn't sail in not a problem and the kids are on grown and on their own. Most of the places where I have worked give two weeks off (more if you have worked there long enough) with pay. Exceed that, and you are on unpiad vacation (hmmm..no pay + no time + expensive trip = not happening). With other obligations and interests such as family (parents and kids), other hobbies and sports, that two week vacation disappears in a hurry. Something has to give and in my case it would be attending various regional races, let alone the SF Worlds, there is just not enough time off to go around. I do sail and race with local clubs nearly every other weekend (and fly R/C on other days).
Sorry dphoye, booze is not important to me, I don't drink and I don't feel that trying to sail with a hangover (BTDT) is going to get the best performance out of yourself or you SF. I don't care if you drink, thats your call, but it is one place where costs could be cut (free booze aint cheap). The all inclusive package is a good idea as long as the drinks are pay as you go, I don't want to pay for something I feel is an optional ammenity.

Back