News Sunfish World Championship

Today is the first day of racing at the 2008 Sunfish World Championship. Buffalo Canoe Club in Canada is hosting 75 competitors.

Over the weekend, the skippers were issued brand new boats from LaserPerformance. They spent two days rigging, tuning and practicing on the waters off the club.

This morning the first start was attempted a few minutes ago but was a general recall. It is now off cleanly, so the racing has officially started!

The class is intending to post results, pictures and stories every night at:
http://www.sunfishclass.org/~worlds

Re: Sunfish World Championship - Photos

I was supposed to be sailing, but one of my artificial knee joints locked up. It was great because I could straightleg hike forever, but not so good because I could not bend my leg to tack. So I returned to shore and managed to get these two photos of a couple boats headed out for the first race of the Worlds. I am sure some photos of the actual racing will be posted soon. The Unknown Master:)

Attachments

• P8250001.JPG
    P8250001.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 73
  • P8250002.JPG
    P8250002.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 62
I have been to the website and can't find results from the first day. Is there another link I am missing?

I cannot find it either.

This is a blurb I received via email:
"The 2008 Sunfish World Championship got underway today at the Buffalo Canoe Club. 72 sailors from 12 countries were treated to excellent racing conditions, northerly winds, 8-15 kts. 3 races were sailed. Paul Foerster (Rockwall TX) is leading the way with a 1-7-1, followed by former world champion Paul-Jon Patin (NY, NY) 6-6-5. Greg Gust (Rockwall, TX), Juan Jose Delgado (Guatemala) and Malcolm Smith (Bermuda) round out the top five."

I was told there would be results, a story and pictures posted to the website at the conclusion of each day. Tonight I am flying to Buffalo and will try to get more information at that time.

The fleet is rigging onshore in preparation for a 11 AM start.

This photo is courtesy of David Mesicek at LaserPerformance.

Attachments

• IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 66
Here is a picture of the lead boat approaching the windward mark in the first race today. The next shot is a few minutes later after most of the fleet has rounded the buoy.

These pictures are again courtesy of David Mesicek at LaserPerformance.

Attachments

• IMG00022.jpg
    IMG00022.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 59
The first picture shows the approach to the second windward mark. The 2008 CORK Laser Standard Champion Lee Parkhill of Canada was leading 2008 Sunfish North American Champion Doug Kaukeinen of the United States.

The second picture shows the fleet chasing them after round the buoy.

Again, many thanks to David Mesicek of LaserPerformance for providing the real time action pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00024.jpg
    IMG00024.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 65
These are some pictures of the first windward mark of race 5. I am not certain who is leading at this point.

Photo credit to David Mesicek of LaserPerformance

Attachments

• IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG00028.jpg
    IMG00028.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55
At the second windward mark, Rush Creek Yacht Club sailors Paul Foerster and Greg Gust are battling at the front of the fleet. Rumor has it that the two of them practice this exact scenario every Wednesday night.

Photo credit to David Mesicek of LaserPerformance

Attachments

• IMG00029.jpg
    IMG00029.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 55
Today is the final race day at the 2008 Sunfish World Championship. The forecast calls for an ESE - SE breeze at around 10 kts. Assuming the wind develops as predicted, the fleet should be able to complete the scheduled 12 race series.

The overall rankings could still change significantly because there is plenty of racing this afternoon. Further, if a 12th race is completed every competitor will receive a second throwout.

Race 10 is scheduled to start at 11 AM.

The unofficial final results are here.

Code:
http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2008/race-results/Sailwave%20results%20for%202008%20SUNFISH%20WORLD%20CHAMPIONSHIP%20-%20OVERALL%20RESULTS.htm

Back