Sunfish weight capacity & boom height issue

Uno Mast

Two quick questions about a sunfish.

What is the actual weight capacity? All I can find is '1-2 people', but I'm wondering the weight capacity.

Also, when sailing, the boom is very very low. With a life jacket on I can't even duck under it, I have to lift it over my head when tacking. I have tightened the halyard as tight as it will go and it's still low. Can I change the location where the halyard ties to the upper boom? Will that fix the problem?

Normally sail a keel boat but, just getting into the sunfish thing with my son and we're kind of self teaching. Thanks for any help.

Matt

I usually have the halyard set at 6-1/2 rings down from the top. If you need more height when tacking drop it to the 7th ring. That includes the head ring on the count.

You could also move the gooseneck forward. Again I use about 20 inches from the tack, but further forward will raise the aft end of the boom.

Probably never a weight capacity other than in a number. For most that would probably mean about 185 lbs per person or less. USCG used to use 165 per person but has now upped that to 185.

More weight will of course slow it down a bit, but from a safety standpoint you're not going to sink it. We've had 14 kids on/hanging from one at sailing camp, and it won't go under....

Sailcraftri has good info on rigging, that puts the halyard about 60 inches from the top of the gaff.

400 pounds, 3-4 people in the 1973 brochure.

Thanks everyone for the responses. They came just in time for some Saturday sailing in some great winds. I moved the halyard to 6 1/2 rings from the top and it worked out just fine. These little boats are way too fun. Never thought something was gonna take time away from the big boat with all the beer but, this is pretty damn cool. Thanks again!

Some of your links do not seem to work anymore...
Hmmm... I'll look into that. If any of the links were to the Sunfish Class website, that could be part of the problem, as I don't think the revised website has been updated with all of the old links. Thanks for the heads up.

I can't believe how fun these are to sail! Wish I would have started when I was a kid so I could go everyday of the summer. Stupid job, ha! This is actually replacing my desire for a jet ski. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm sure it will be useful while I get acquainted with this boat.

Back