Sunfish vs. Super Sailfish

BPH71

Which one would win?? I know Portsmouth handicap has the Sailfish at 118.4 and the Sunfish at 99.6, but is the 118.4 for the 12' Sailfish? What about the Super Sailfish that has the same rig as the sunfish, but less beam and about the same length? Anyone got any ideas out there?

The sailfish handicap includes both the original sailfish and the super sailfish.
The sailfish sail and the super sailfish sail were both 75 sq ft. I've got at least one of each somewhere in the attic. We used them for practice and when the kids wanted to sail rather than use our "good sails".

The Alcort sales flyers list the different Sailfish models with these numbers,

Standard Sailfish LOA 11’-7 ½” Beam 31 ½” Weight 82 lbs Sail Area 65 sq. ft. Wood Hull

Super Sailfish LOA 13’-7” Beam 35 ½” Weight 98 to 102 lbs Sail Area 75 sq. ft. Wood Hull

Super Sailfish MKII LOA 13’-7” Beam 35 ½” Weight 98 lbs Sail Area 75 sq. ft. Fiberglass Hull

"The sailfish handicap includes both the original sailfish and the super sailfish."
-How can this be when the original sailfish is shorter (11' 7" vs 13' 7") and smaller sail (65 sq. ft. vs 75 sq. ft.)?

"It is beyond no contest. Any variety of Sunfish would kill any variety of Sailfish. BB"
-Why is that? The sunfish hull and super sailfish hull are very similar, except the sailfish is about 30 lbs. lighter. The sail is identical. I would think they would be very equal in speed (given similar skippers, of course)

The handicaps are like the Sunfish handicap. At one time there were two for both boats. But US Sailing says one handicap per boat.
As for being equal in speed, anyone who has sailed both will disaagree. Maybe similar for a early 60's vintage Sunfish, but any Sunfish produced since late 1967 would have a faster Ratsey sail, after 1971 would have the improved rudder system, and today's plastic dagger board completely does the Sailfish in.
Then there is the comfort/handling issues. The Sunfish cockpit, whether old smaller or new larger version, make all the difference in the world as to positioning for hiking and/or balance.

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Very informative. Think I should trade in the Sailfish for a sunfish...

Thanks again.

Yes, but what a cool, classic boat the Sailfish is !! (if you're not interested in racing).
Would definitely be a very fun and wet boat. I'm wondering about taking 2 people on
a Sailfish- how much weight and still have positive flotation (at or above center line of
the hull).

The Sailfish may do better in very light air, and planes easily directly downwind.
It's much narrower than a Sunfish, and is much more of a balancing act.

The one time I had both in the water, it was pretty windy, and the Sunfish was a good deal faster and more controllable than the Sailfish.

Back