Sunfish vs. Sailfish

mikepaddle

I am searching for a Sunfish in the D/FW area and came across a Sailfish in fairly good shape. There is only minimal information or photos available online. I have found that both boats were made by Alcort and that the Sailfish lost it's popularity around the time that production changed from wood to fiberglass.

Can anyone help me with a little history and/or personal advice regarding the Sailfish? Although the Sunfish is my first choice, the Sailfish might be a good option.

Thanks in advance...Mike

Hello Mike,

I was just surfing the web for info on how to fix up one of these little buggers and found this bit of trivia -

Wood Sailfish 1945 to 1966
Fiberglass Sailfish 1959 to 1975
Wood Sunfish 1952 to 1966
Fiberglass Sunfish 1960 to the present

Like Mike4947 said the two boats are worlds apart. For some enlightenment this page might be of interest/

http://home.comcast.net/~sunfish_sailor/sailfish/sailfish.html

There's more info if you follow the link.

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies. You have confirmed by assumption that I should continue on my quest to find that perfect Sunfish! I know that she is sitting somewhere around the Dallas area and will surface soon!

Thanks again. this is truly a friendly and helpful site!

Mike

mikepaddle said:
You have confirmed by assumption that I should continue on my quest to find that perfect Sunfish! I know that she is sitting somewhere around the Dallas area and will surface soon!
Mike

Try contacting the Sunfish fleet captain at the Rush Creek Yacht Club, site of the 2006 Nationals:

http://www.rcyc.org/sunfish/2006NA/

Mike, JMHO, but if I were looking for a used Fish I would restrict my search to 1992 or newer boats. That gives you the newer rudder system and larger cockpit. While the rudders were on boats from IIRC 1972 on they do that the smaller cockpit and the first years of the larger cockpit boats were built by Pearson and as I owned one can safely say were built way to light (not enough resin/glass) in the hull. '92 and newer hulls were built by SLI or Vanguard and again JMHO but have better built hulls.

I have a Sailfish sail that is excellent...and I think is the same size as a Sunfish, but i would like someone to confirm that. I will sell it for $50 if anyone is interested.

Well, it may and it may not be. It depends if it were meant for the fiberglass Sailfish, or the smaller of the two sizes of wooden Sailfish.

oldsalt78 said:
I have a Sailfish sail that is excellent...and I think is the same size as a Sunfish, but i would like someone to confirm that. I will sell it for $50 if anyone is interested.

If you can confirm that this sail will fit a newer sailfish. 13'8" boom -I will buy it from you for the $50

Carl

Well, it may and it may not be. It depends if it were meant for the fiberglass Sailfish, or the smaller of the two sizes of wooden Sailfish.
Sailfish are still very much around. This example—with the Sunfish logo—surfaced recently in New Hampshire, where I first noticed how deep in the water it was. The spars seem to be from something else, as they're longer than the boat.

Attachments

• 10mpiky[1].jpg
    10mpiky[1].jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 98

Back