Sunfish vs Imitation

Merrimac

Is there anything that is gained with a legit sunfish over say a howmar phantom. There is a sunfish for $1400 but the phantom is only $600. Both have trailers.
3Mb3Fe3L45L25K25H8cbjaebe2f7928bf1299.jpg

3Eb3K43N25N45Ga5H5cam9c3a18935b2918ea.jpg

I am trying to get a good boat but is the sunfish really worth the extra $800 over the phantom?
Thanks,
Merrimac

That particular Sunfish is not worth the $800 difference so I would go with the Phantom. I just think for its age, the Sunfish in the photo with trailer is over priced. It is probably a mid 70's boat so with trailer maybe $800 at most (here in New England).

part of it will depend on how you plan to use it, and whether it will now (or in the future) need parts.

if you don't plan to race in Sunfish races, then it makes sense to buy the cheaper boat.

but, the Sunfish will (most likely) be much easier to find replacement parts for if you want to upgrade or repair anything.

cheers,
tag

Price depends on where you are at. Down here in the Florida panhandle that Sunfish would sell quick at that price. OTOH I had problems unloading two really clean Butterflies. Also the galvanized trailer looks to be in good shape, that brings 400-600 dollars here.
We like Sunfish for ease of sailing, one person setup, simplicity, parts availability and resale market and value.

Would it be worth it to get a "beater" type sunfish to use as a first boat and a project sunfish to work with over time for $500? I personally would love to restore the project boat, and learn to sail on a boat that really can be be used roughly(Newbie). What are your opinions?:confused:

I wouldn't spend over a thousand on a (used, non-serious racing) Sunfish. I found a good (1969) boat with trailer, racing sail, and fiberglass daggerboard for $750. I think for $500 you should be able to find something a step up from a total beater, but if you wanna repair it, I'd say go for it! :) I'm also pretty much a newb, for what it's worth :)

Does anyone know about a sailboat made by Sunfish/laser called the daysailer? 17' and sloop rigged. Any experience with this boat?

Wavedancer,
"frostbiting" I know it means winter sailing but do you imply that it is a "Dry" boat?
I was wrong :eek: about the frostbiting; mixed up the Day Sailer with the Interclub (another sloop-rigged sailboat).
I also don't know if these boats can be considered "dry" boats. In almost all dinghies you will get wet at times, even when you don't capsize.
Anyway, frostbiters in the Northeast typically wear drysuits. Therefore, getting wet doesn't matter much.

The Day Sailor I recall was pretty big. . . 16 - 17 ft., 600+ lbs and took crew of 2 or 3. It was pretty handy for its size, capable of planing, and very dry to sail (for a dinghy). I would guess you could single hand it, but it would be a handful to launch and retrieve.

If you are learning to sail, it would be a lot easier on a Sunfish than a Daysailor. And the Daysailor is not designed to singlehand. I also don't think you need a beater to learn on, with a plan of getting a better Sunfish later. Sunfish are pretty durable, so you won't end up destroying a nice boat while you learn.

If you are learning to sail, it would be a lot easier on a Sunfish than a Daysailor. And the Daysailor is not designed to singlehand. I also don't think you need a beater to learn on, with a plan of getting a better Sunfish later. Sunfish are pretty durable, so you won't end up destroying a nice boat while you learn.
Thanks BB for your opinion on getting a beater and a daysailor vs a sunfish.

The Day Sailor I recall was pretty big. . . 16 - 17 ft., 600+ lbs and took crew of 2 or 3. It was pretty handy for its size, capable of planing, and very dry to sail (for a dinghy). I would guess you could single hand it, but it would be a handful to launch and retrieve.
I think 600 lbs is a little much for a newbie.

We have an ODay Daysailer and it is best with 2 people, handles 4 easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
I just want to add a couple of comments on the Phantom vs Sunfish topic.
The spars are the same, the only difference is the Phantom mast is black.
The Phantom rudder hardware is different, but the gudgeon that J-Point marine uses on the Pointer 14 is the same.
The blades are different and the rudder that J-Point Marine uses will work, but you have to get the whole assembly. I have a daggerboard and a set of rudder hardware if you need it.
The sail is sleeved, not held on with rings. There is a boat dealer in Wakefield MA that has a new Phantom sail available for $200. I use a Sunfish sail on my Phantom.
The bailer is different, but as sailcraftri said, he has them.
I'd save the $800 and buy the Phantom. It's a good boat.

Reactions: tag

Back