Sunfish upper and lower boom question

Sinnyone

Just picked up a free sunfish, 1976, and am getting an idea of what I need to get here sail worthy. I noticed the the two booms do not look like the ones I see in most pics and videos. Are these originals, maybe something that should have been upgraded. Or maybe someone went cheap and used these instead of originals. Let me know what you think.one is 126" and one is 157". Thanks.
1619969630433743752585119009093.jpg
16199696702287932399955621292954.jpg

The SF booms are 13' 8" (156") x 1 1/2" diameter - .65 thickness 6061 alloy aluminum. You may have one boom still functional but the other is scrap. None of the hardware is correct to connect the booms I don't see the mainsheet blocks attached to either boom. Yu need to start looking for a used pair of booms IMHO. Sorry about that bad news. There are a lot of "free" Sunfish that can run you hundreds of dollars to get enough of the components to be able to sail them properly. Post some more pictures of the hull and components you do have on hand and the crew will advise if the boat is viable.

The SF booms are 13' 8" (156") x 1 1/2" diameter - .65 thickness 6061 alloy aluminum. You may have one boom still functional but the other is scrap. None of the hardware is correct to connect the booms I don't see the mainsheet blocks attached to either boom. Yu need to start looking for a used pair of booms IMHO. Sorry about that bad news. There are a lot of "free" Sunfish that can run you hundreds of dollars to get enough of the components to be able to sail them properly. Post some more pictures of the hull and components you do have on hand and the crew will advise if the boat is viable.
Yes I saw the missing blocks and other misc hardware. I should also advise that I know exactly what I'm getting myself into. I've been a boater and have knowledge in fiberglass repair, painting, boat repair in general. The hull has been neglected for quite a while, has some significant damage, but should be repairable. I have most of the material already in my possession. This will not be for race, and I'm sure some questionable parts by some enthusiasts. But, it's a small lake boat for fun and sun. Not going to reseal the deck to the hull, just put a strain plug and inspection port for draining any residual water that meet enter during the day. The hull seems thin, but not brittle. I'm just thinking patch holes, repaint, use crappy sail, tear, patch, repeat. Get me to the sandbar, get me back. Cheap blocks, cheap hardware, dyneema lines, :) if I get 5 knots, yeah, if she breaks, swim to shore. Lol or maybe a tow. Anyways, the sail is a little different then I've seen also. The booms actually fit through the sail. It doesn't use the shower curtain rings. Might account fit the different type booms.

That makes sense, someone modified to fit another sail, probably for a cat rig. Well in that case just jury rig what you got and have fun, sounds like you have a plan. Good sailing.

Reactions: tag
Also, one of the booms is backwards. They both have the holes to mount the eye bolts connecting them together. I do not have the yoke. Was going to get one off of ebay.

One of the booms is long enough for a Sunfish sail. The other can be extended with a broomstick and a two-foot length of hardware store tubing.

"Sleeved" sails are found on some common clonefish.

Don't pay too much for the gooseneck. They may be available in the 'teens.

Last edited:
One of the booms is long enough for a Sunfish sail. The other can be extended with a broomstick and a two-foot length of hardware store tubing.

"Sleeved" sails are found on some common clonefish.

Don't pay too much for the gooseneck. They may be available in the 'teens.
It's weird. They are both about 126" , but one has an extension of about 2 feet. After I have the hull complete, I will get to work on the mast and booms. I'll have a lot of questions about those booms and hardware.

'Hard to tell from a picture. I'd check for correct spar diameter before ordering the gooseneck. :confused:

Back