Sunfish trailer

Debbie

Are there trailers for Sunfish that you can pull behind your car and then back the trailer into the water to launch the boat? I can’t lift the boat at all so I would need to float in off and onto the trailer.

I bought a Trailex SUT 220 for my Sunfish. I use as a dolly because it's so light and I can completely submerge it. It's expensive and being lightweight, doesn't stand up to heavy use or traveling long distance at freeway speeds. It is great for around my area at lower speeds. You will get a lot of good advice from other members, I'm sure.

What norcalsail said. I have been doing that for almost twenty years (with the same Trailex trailer). I just back the trailer into the water until the boat slides off. I tie the boat to something nearby and park the car. Then I ready the boat to go sailing.
I quite disagree though that one cannot use a Trailex trailer for long distance (highway) travel. I have been going to many places without problems. I did have to make some repairs over time; there are threads on the forum about those issues.

PS: Regular maintenance (bearings!) is highly recommended.

A 14 foot Jon Boat trailer works. Or longer double jet ski trailer. Or purpose designed Sunfish trailer.

What norcalsail said. I have been doing that for almost twenty years (with the same Trailex trailer). I just back the trailer into the water until the boat slides off. I tie the boat to something nearby and park the car. Then I ready the boat to go sailing.
I quite disagree though that one cannot use a Trailex trailer for long distance (highway) travel. I have been going to many places without problems. I did have to make some repairs over time; there are threads on the forum about those issues.

PS: Regular maintenance (bearings!) is highly recommended.
Maybe my problem with long distance travel is that I need to pay more attention to maintenance. I had one of the rails on the square frame in the back completely pull out of the bolt and this may have been because I overtightened the bolts holding the springs. I think they need to have play. I'm glad you mentioned this as it gives me more confidence in taking the boat to non-local places.

You must have the newer (better) Trailex trailer. I have the older one, without the springs.
One other thing to watch is the cradle holder. So far, I have broken two of them (in 20 years); perhaps because I tightened the strap too much?

harbor freight small utility trailers can be retrofitted for all kinds of things and are stupid cheap. the weel bearings suck though. especially if youre going to dip them in salt water. so id retrofit those with better and bearing buddies and just load them up with grease.. if you have some tools and creativity. jet ski trailers work too. finding them used isnt too hard.

Back