Sunfish trailer?

don44

I realize there have been previous posts on this subject, but many of them can no longer be viewed. I would appreciate advice on who makes a good compact trailer for someone that is limited on parking space and is not interested in long distance towing. Harbor Freight used to have a nice one, but apparently dropped it from their catalogue. Triton seems to have a nice trailer with a good bunk setup, but I can't find a dealer around here. I have noticed mention of modifying "personal watercraft" trailers, but haven't found any specific info. We don't even have any Sunfish dealers here in Minnesota - "The Land of 10,000 Lakes".

Trailex Sunfish trailers are lovely, but stupidly expensive for what they consist of (and I’ve known the guys at Trailex for more than 20 years!).
Academy Sports sells a very nice little galvanized trailer for $599. that has a welded aluminum angle frame for the bunks (nice). It needs nothing extra to fit and carry a Sunfish other than perhaps a rear keel roller if you want one.
I restore and sell dozens of Sunfish each season and recommend these to any customer that needs a trailer.

I got a Puffer on a Trailex...and it would bend the bunks, going around corners. I was shocked at the Trailex new price, sold it to a kayak user, bought a used galvanized for $200, and the rest easily paid for the puffer. The Puffer couldn't have been much over 200lbs.

Thanks for your responses! I am leaning toward purchasing a new trailer. I have looked at used trailers in my area that were listed on Craigslist and Facebook and was disappointed with their condition. I don't have a big workshop so my repair efforts are limited. Also, I never found one that seemed to be a good fit - most were pretty big. I am gonna look at the Academy Sports trailer, though.

Addendum: Just looked at Academy Sports - Says "No shipping" so that's out...

Tried Northern Tool? They had similar trailers to HF, but priced higher.

If a Harbor Freight trailer is what will "work", advertise "Wanted to Buy" on Craigslist. Example:

"WTB, Harbor Freight trailer small, in good condition, prefer folding model, no rust, for a Senior's project. Offering $150 cash."

That's what I would do, and I'm going broke—saving money! :confused:

I have a harbor freight trailer and now that I have a sunfish and an Opti I need to make a holder of some sort so I can transport in one trip.

I am looking for ideas if anyone has done this I would appreciate some pictures.

Thanks,

Most people wouldn't cartop an aluminum canoe right-side-up. But I was able to carry a huge load of my lightest (and waterproof) cargo for 2000 miles. Nobody could see what being carried, so there was some security in that technique.

To carry both Opti and Sunfish at same time? You could "nest" the Opti in the Sunfish cockpit. :cool:

Singly? Make four-poster "hammock" for HD plastic netting--for Opti or Sunfish, no adjustments needed! :)

Add 4 steel trailer guides with aluminum crossbars.

Double trailer.jpg

500lb payload!!!

I could sit in my sunfish and have the griff fly us both to the lake. Talk about the the journey being half the fun....
Apparently L&VW was thinking along the same lines. Posted his response while I was typing.lol

I got a old dinghy/jet ski trailer off of craigslist that works good for me the aft end sticks out a few feet but it sits tight with ratchet straps and gets it to the harbor boat ramp just down the road from me fine. I recommend that route its way cheaper then a new trailer in most cases. Also try asking people selling both a dinghy and trailer if you can just buy the trailer thats how I found mine

Attachments

• 20200725_202434.jpg
    20200725_202434.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 134
Yes ..nice trailer setup. Since so usually sail solo, not sure I could lift it back on the trailer....but for a sailing vacation with friends or family, that would be the ticket.

Reactions: tag
Btw...speaking of tongue jacks, I installed one that was way oversized...bigger wheel. This way I could unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle, and back the boat trailer into water, where my vehicle might get stuck....like dirt or loose gravel shorelines. I just use a stout 50ft rope to pull the whole affair out of the water too...to an area I can then hook the trailer back up and not get the car stuck....obviosly in launch areas that don't have a pavement ramp. My sailing lake has a lot of these "launch" areas...but no ramp.

I got a old dinghy/jet ski trailer off of craigslist that works good for me the aft end sticks out a few feet but it sits tight with ratchet straps and gets it to the harbor boat ramp just down the road from me fine. I recommend that route its way cheaper then a new trailer in most cases. Also try asking people selling both a dinghy and trailer if you can just buy the trailer thats how I found mine
How long is this trailer?

Just to finalize the original question I had for this thread: I ended up buying a new trailer, a Shoreland'r B10, which is a bit of overkill, but it had proper bunks without modification and good structure. I looked around for a used trailer locally, but got tired of seeing alot of stuff that was either overpriced or useless. Thank all of you for your responses/ideas - That's what makes this forum so great!!

Hmmm. "We" were just discussing that sail emblem. It's an unseen Sunfish we've been giving advice for. :oops:

Maybe Porpoise?

Breeze Bender, was that you?

The boat is a Star Dancer, made by Edo Western Corp, one of many clones made to ride on Sunfish success. I refer to it as the "winged carp". My Sunfish is in the shop getting a new gelcoat.

Reactions: tag
We did discuss this in July:

Back