sunfish tiller length

The standard issue from Vanguard is around 33 inches, I personally use the 48-inch fatso. I believe 44 inches would be perfect but noone makes one exactly that size.

The tiller in the drawing with the rules is shown as 48" from what appears to be the center of the hole in the tiller straps to the center of the tiller extension pivot point. Don't be confused with the tiller extension (hiking stick).
You can only use the builder supplied tiller. Quote from the rules:

3.4 Tiller. The tiller shall be supplied only by the Builder. Any material may be added to the tiller for a maximum length of 16 inches to prevent chafing from contact with the bridle. The added material should be primarily for anti-chafing rather than for stiffening.

3.4.1 The tiller extension may be of any length, diameter or size, either fixed or telescoping, attached in any manner including a universal joint, provided it is used solely as an extension of the tiller.

3.4.2 An additional Builder-supplied tiller strap may be added to each side of the tiller.

3.4.3 Bushings may be installed in the holes in the tiller straps. The plastic washers between the rudder and the tiller straps may be replaced by plastic pads attached to the inner surfaces of the tiller straps to reduce play and improve rudder reliability.

The tiller in the drawing with the rules is shown as 48" from what appears to be the center of the hole in the tiller straps to the center of the tiller extension pivot point.

Tim:

I've looked at that drawing in the rules section before and wondered whether it was indicating 48" max overall tiller length, or 48" between the hole and pivot point (as it appears to). If, as you indicate, it is the latter, the overall tiller could be 50-plus inches long and would overhang the aft cockpit lip by a couple of inches with the rudder down.

Has there ever been a manufacturer-supplied tiller with an overall length greater than 48 inches?

Kevin

Ok, now for my 2 cents. I prefer a much shorter tiller, so short in fact that you can sit at the back of the cockpit and swing the tiller behind you.

Folks always get tiller confused with extension. It's been a while but IIRC even the old style rudder system had the same length tiller.
As for extensions the only real limit is clearing the main sheet block on the deck during tacks/gybes without having to manipulate the extension and tiller and causing the rudder to move out of position.

Kevin, Nick, Tim, etc,

I just went and measured my factory supplied tiller. The wood part of the TILLER is 44". The Tiller Straps add the extra inches for the overall total (maximum) length of 48". This measurement is from the very front of the wood to the very end of the tiller strap, not from the rudder pivot hole to extention pivot. I agree, the drawings are not very clear.

Back