Sunfish Stripes

BGWiggers

So I have an older sunfish (not exactly sure what year). It has two yellow stripes toward the bow. I was wondering if those were painted from when it was made or if they are in the gelcoat. Is there any way I can get that out (with wet sanding or something)? Don’t know much about this stuff.

If your boat is a ‘69 or ‘70 those two stripes are gelcoat. If so, no way to remove them other than other than removing the gelcoat, which is unwise.

All original sunfish stripes are gelcoat up to new models.

Why are you trying to remove them?

You have an old boat. Leak test it and get it ready to sail.

Those old boats are really well build.

Post some pictures?

Changing the topic sort of... What is the best way to restore the gel coat on my sunfish. There are many ways to do it but from you experience, which way is the best (wet sanding, polishing, etc.)?

So my sunfish has an off white look to it (I don’t have any pictures currently). The new ones look more white instead of off-white. Is there any way I can make mine look like that without paint? It’s not like super oxidized or anything.

Last edited:
The second or third page of the 1970s thread that is active talks about brightening up an older boat. Use the search box too - this is a frequent topic on the board.

Not all stripes are gel coat. My 2000-ish Sunfish had 2 small dark blue stripes that were vinyl(?) tape over the top of the large green stripe.
You can still see the slightly different shade of green where the blue taped stripes used to be.
F0542E50-273A-42E4-8710-0D26B9ED7ED2.jpeg

Yellow doesn't seem to be Sunfish's "Color of the Year". :(

If it were my boat, I'd spray paint a new color over them, maybe pick up a color (red, blue, purple) from the sail? Cover everything on deck within three feet, but still select a windless day to spray-paint. :cool:

Here's a start to determine year of manufacture, by working from a major "transition year":

The Sunfish of 1970 was a transition year--but sometimes they mixed plastic and metal parts. :confused:

It had the bronze fittings for the older rudder, and the new large storage "cubby" aft of the cockpit. Later Sunfish had the newly-required ID numbers molded into the upper right transom.

Its a 69 or 70 based on the stripes. Yellow was a popular color. Used to see tons of yellow and white or yellow and blue stripes sails.

The only plastic on boats of that era were mast and boom caps. Everything else was metal, fiberglass or wood.

The storage cubby came out in early 1971. The 1970s didn’t have them.

Back