Sunfish Set up Help

jsm9437

So I found an old sunfish at a guy's house and he said he would let me take it for 50 bucks. it doesn't have anything other than the boat. the boat is in good shape and i realize i may have to do a little fiberglass work. It seems like it is water worthy right now though. my question is what would it take to get this puppy on the water and sailing. im not trying to break the bank. is what i am trying to do possible for a few hundred bucks? can i build some of the stuff myself? mast? daggerboard? ect....please help. thanks in advance.

So I found an old sunfish at a guy's house and he said he would let me take it for 50 bucks. it doesn't have anything other than the boat. the boat is in good shape and i realize i may have to do a little fiberglass work. It seems like it is water worthy right now though. my question is what would it take to get this puppy on the water and sailing. im not trying to break the bank. is what i am trying to do possible for a few hundred bucks? can i build some of the stuff myself? mast? daggerboard? ect....please help. thanks in advance.
As the adage goes, "Nothing is more expensive than a Free (or nearly free) Boat".

Before you dive in consider this benchmark. With patience you can find a seaworthy Sunfish for $500 - $800..., with a lot of luck, even $300.

You can make almost everything yourself. That's simply a matter of looking at the original equipment and copying..., along with some ingenuity. The expense will be relative to what you can beg, borrow, and build.

If you buy used pieces and parts, here's a general cost list from a couple of years back . . . Click Here

It can be a fun project, just take your time and see what you can scrounge up.

chase craigslist ! you may find for a couple hundred bucks a waterloggged nightmare hull......THAT HAS ALL THE OTHER PARTS YOU NEED.... and you can use the trasher hull for a bar or a planter or a.......

Back