Sunfish sailing near Key West

twshortt

Anyone out there sailed recently around Key West? I'm headed there for the entire month of Janurary 08 and planning to trailer my Sunfish (after a few upgrades...its a "63" model).

Last winter when I was there I noticed some Sunfishes on Smathers beach for rent and did see a few sailing on the Atlantic side. I hope to find someone with experience sailing on either the Gulf side or the Atlantic Side.

I'm staying on the Navy base on the gulf side in my motor home and have a great place from which to launch the boat.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Terry

Sounds like you will be camping at Sigbee Park RV Sites. I live on Geiger Key, used to have a Sunfish and if I can find one to use I'll join your sail around Key West if your interested in Sunfish Fleet Sailing.
At any rate, if you are out sailing and want a beach landing on Geiger Key, our place at 75 Boundary Lane welcomes Sunfish sailors.
[email protected]

There used to be an around Key West island race about 10-12 years ago. Don't know what happened to the guy who used to organize it. There are quite a few folks down there who are sailing and racing Sunfish.

Sounds like you will be camping at Sigbee Park RV Sites. I live on Geiger Key, used to have a Sunfish and if I can find one to use I'll join your sail around Key West if your interested in Sunfish Fleet Sailing.
At any rate, if you are out sailing and want a beach landing on Geiger Key, our place at 75 Boundary Lane welcomes Sunfish sailors.
[email protected]
I'll be in Key West in a couple of weeks and plan to take you up on the offer Norman. Actually, I was there all of November but didn't have my sunfish with me, but noticed a lot of them sailing off Sigsbee Park where my motor home is.

Just purchased a new sail and did some repairs to the woodwork and I'm anxious to get it wet.

By the way, I noticed a Sunfish hull for sale at the Kayak dealer on Stock Island just before getting into Key West. It looked like the old style and I didn't notice any components. Sorry, I didn't check on the price. I was actually looking to purchase one of his used kayak.

If you are interested in fixing up a Sunfish this one may be a good prospect.

Terry
[email protected]

Terry,

I emailed you with a contact.

Seems like there is a lot of potential at Key West, just from visitors alone. It would be cool if you guys all get something organized.

Tim

I just moved to Little Torch Key, about 27 miles from Key West. :)

I'd like to be sailing around here in a Sunfish, but last year a local windsurfer got caught in the normally-fierce outrush of tide in these parts—got swept eastward under a bridge—and spent the night hanging onto a lobster-pot buoy with only Africa some 3000 miles east. :eek:

'Still looking for a Sunfish, but I gotta pick the tide-hours right!

Wow..that sounds scary.

Actually, my sailing will take place just north of Garrison Bight not far north of the mooring bed there. This is a huge open space bordered on the south by an island owned by the US Navy that extends out a couple of miles.

Its pretty windy on that side of the island compared to the Atlantic side (on the same day), but it seems more safe with the land on three sides.

Just in case though, my Sunfish is equipped with an emergency kit. Allthough I don't take a lot of unnecessary risk, I do like to be prepared.

When scuba diving I take similar precautions. Extra air and a "dive buddy".

In any case, you're welcome to join me in Key West. I'll be pulling back into KW in a couple of weeks from a visit up north for the holidays with my sail boat in tow. Can't wait to get it out with the new sail!

I can see Big Pine Key from my new house. It's about ½-mile away across a strong tidal current. I should have included the story earlier:

"Eighteen hours after 55-year-oldwindsurfer Greg Lepock lost his way, Florida Coast Guard swimmers rescued him one mile off Big Pine Key. He had been holding onto a crab pot to keep from being pulled by the current. He was reported overdue by his wife, Cindy, shortly after 7 p.m. Upon receiving the report the Coast Guard immediately launched an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and a 25-foot boat.The Coast Guard searched until 4 a.m. when the case was suspended until daylight. At first light, the search resumed and Lepock was located at 8:24 a.m."

He was heavier than the weight his board would support, so he dangled his arms and legs across the windsurfer while holding on to the lobster pot buoy.

In a strong saltwater current over-night, some might call that "trolling".
:eek:

At least my Sunfish clone will support my weight!

Back