Sunfish Sailing in San Diego - looking for sailing community and boat

SunfishSD

Hello, greetings to all on this forum. I am new here and wonder:
is there anyone out there with connection to sunfish sailing in San Diego, CA?

I have been (ocean) sailing sunfish for the past 30+ years. Alas, the elderly, wonderful sunfish we have with the family are both on the East Coast. Here in San Diego's Mission Bay, I regularly rent a Capri 14', 18', or 22' from the Catamaran Hotel but find them rather unwieldy compared to a sunfish.

Might anyone direct me to a sunfish, to rent, share, occasionally use, or even buy (if it can be stored on a beach/at a club)?
Is there a community of folk who sail sunfish in SD?

Last edited:
Beautiful area to sail. A million years ago the Navy Morale Welfare and Rec (MWR) services had Sunfish for rent on Mission Bay, Point Loma and Coronado Fiddlers Creek. You might check around for that and see if they can generate leads for rentals nearby.

Chat with the hotel, maybe they will add a Sunfish to their Fleet. New boats are in stock at Laser Performance US and more are on the way.

You could also try a Wanted Ad in the local Craigslist.

Good luck!

My U.S. Navy experience (at Rota) was with the Snipe (USN bought eight from a UK source). In six years, I never did step aboard any other USN vessel! :cool:

I could have sold most of my Sunfish fleet these past two days, but the planets just weren't aligned. :confused: One buyer (for his kids) had dually tire-trouble on his way over to buy two! Maybe tomorrow. :oops:

'Just discovered yesterday from a different prospect, there's some Sunfish sailing out of Hollywood, Florida. (FWIW).

Back