sunfish sail without gooseneck

fabrice

Just for the fun :
Did anyone tried to rig the sail as a lateen, without gooseneck, but only lines to point foreward or stick to the mast ? Could be fun.

Other question in the same league :
Did anyone tried to get rid of the gooseneck ? (mine tends to spin, twist and lock on the mast when pulling the halyard, it's heavy and clumsy ... )

Of course it may not be class legal, but I couldn't care less. :D

Just for the fun :
Did anyone tried to rig the sail as a lateen, without gooseneck, but only lines to point foreward or stick to the mast ? Could be fun.

Did anyone tried to get rid of the gooseneck ? (mine tends to spin, twist and lock on the mast when pulling the halyard, it's heavy and clumsy ... )

Of course it may not be class legal, but I couldn't care less. :D
The boat is a lateen rig. Do you mean turn it into a cat rig, which is sort of what happens if you move the gooseneck to the very front of the boom?

There is no point in getting rid of the gooseneck. The five seconds of inconvenience it is causing you while hoisting the sail is more than made up for by the boat working properly for the 2 hours you are out sailing. BB

BB

When you raise the sail and pull on the halyard you should be helping the process by holding the boom and lifting it to keep the gooseneck from dragging and turning on the mast. Of course you're doing this heading into the wind.

Fred

Just for the fun :

No gooseneck on a dhow, as raced on the Gulf, but tacking is a lot of work. I believe the crew 'wrestles' the boom from one side of the mast to the other.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uX3ZMKeX_8&NR=1"]YouTube - Dhow Race Experience![/ame]

As far as the Sunfish is concerned, why mess with a good thing?

Back