Sunfish sail: Dimensions for window

I have a 'Sunrise' colored sail on my sunfish that I want to modify with the addition of a window. I have a local sailmaker who will do it.

Questions: Are there 'class legal' dimensions for the window I must adhere to? After I determine the dimensions of the window, where is the optimal place to put it? Are there any other questions I should be asking before undertaking this task?

Thanks,

Jim Simmons

From the class rules:

3.6.1 Sails shall not be altered. Sails may be repaired providing that the shape is not altered.

3.6.2 One rectangular window may be installed in the sail so long as the shape or size of the sail is not altered. The total area of the window shall not exceed 600 sq. inches (3871 sq cm).

BUT.......you will not need to worry about the class rules, because if you are racing and you do not have a "race" sail (different cut of sail), you will be so far behind that nobody will see your window, legal or not :) .

Windows are a good idea though. I would put a window that is about 5 or 6 feet long and about 1 or 2 foot high, centered about the position of the forward mainsheet block on the boom and about 6-8" up from the foot. I would have them use a monofilm or x-grid monofilm material for the window.

Good luck. Take a picture of it when it is done and post back.

Tim Polaski said:
From the class rules:

3.6.1 Sails shall not be altered. Sails may be repaired providing that the shape is not altered.

3.6.2 One rectangular window may be installed in the sail so long as the shape or size of the sail is not altered. The total area of the window shall not exceed 600 sq. inches (3871 sq cm).

BUT.......you will not need to worry about the class rules, because if you are racing and you do not have a "race" sail (different cut of sail), you will be so far behind that nobody will see your window, legal or not :) .

Windows are a good idea though. I would put a window that is about 5 or 6 feet long and about 1 or 2 foot high, centered about the position of the forward mainsheet block on the boom and about 6-8" up from the foot. I would have them use a monofilm or x-grid monofilm material for the window.

Good luck.

Although everybody says that the race sails are faster, don't be discouraged. In other words, do go out and race. I am sure that you will be ahead of the white sails that are kissing the water, and you may even beat a few that are right side up, depending on your skill, the conditions, etc. And if you do end up towards the bottom if the fleet, you will have a good excuse....

Hi Jim,

I agree with Wavedancer. By all means go race and use your rec sail. It is fully possible to compete with all the racing sails. Make sure you dont pull the outhaul or up haul too tight to keep the sail fairly full in shape. Please dont be discouraged by the racers who have racing sails and tell you there is no way you will be able to kepp up. While the race sail has proven to be a faster there are other factors that come it play that can give you an opportunity to beat those guys.

Good luck and good sailing.

Jim,

JFYI, the demensions of the window in the SF Racing sail (North made) are approximately 7" x 71". It is placed 9" back from the leading edge and 14" up from the bottom edge at the front lower corner of the window and 10" up from the bottom edge at the rear lower corner.

I also agree with the above posts, go ahead and race with whatever sail you have. Even if you don't come in first, you will have fun and learn how to read the wind and water better and better. Our association had our first race(s) of the season this past weekend with 23 boats racing. Only 2 SF racing (with standard sails) and we traded places in the three heats (won 1, tied 1, lost 1). It depended on who was asleep at the tiller. Bottom line, we all had fun, got the first sunburn of the season and had fun reguardless of what kind of boat you had. Even the guy with the "Y" Flyer, who's mast broke had fun until that happened and he even stayed to help out on shore. Go race and have fun.

Sure - do go and race with your recreational sail.

At the 50th Anniversary Sunfish Regatta at Newport a few years ago - with a World Championship place as the prize for the winner - some guy from Texas showed up and sailed a new Sunfish out of the box with a recreational sail and whupped all the New England Sunfish hotshots.

I think his name was John Kolius. Anybody heard of him before? :confused:

Back