Sunfish Rudder Restoration

Drobinsonsc

I have a Sunfish rudder that was left exposed to weather by the previous owner. One side of it is discolored, dull, and gray. The other side has the glossy, light gold color seen on most Sunfish rudders and daggerboards.

Any ideas on restoring the discolored side to the glossy, light gold color? I have sanded it, applied teak cleaner, brightener, golden teak oil, and varnish, all to no avail. The wood is currently clean and the grain is visible, but the color is dark, not golden.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dan,
I am not sure how these suggestions will work. Have you tried Deck Cleaner for wooden porch decks? Another possibility is oxialic bleach (check with a wood working shop/supply store). This will remove the color (at least on new wood) and allows you to stain to match the other side. Check the products you have for the oxialic bleach, what you have tried may have it as an ingrediant. The woodworking store or a deck restoration place may have the answer you are looking for. Unfortunately in the end, you may just have to live with the "dark side". Good luck

Dan,
In the October 2004 (# 172) issue of Fine Wood Working, page 102, is a brief article in Q & A addressing a similar problem to yours (blue-gray wood). I misspelled Oxalic in my previous post and it is actually an acid found in deck cleaners or in crystal form at hardware stores. Used non metal containers, Oxalic Acid will react with metal.

John,

Thanks for the tip. I'll get that copy of Fine Wood Working and try the oxalic acid. I'll respond with the results.

Dan

Look guys, you're making this way more difficult than it needs to be. I'm a wood shop teacher. Just sand the damn thing down beyond the discoloring. Do both sides & edges. Your biggest mistake was to put oil on it. Questions? contact me at [email protected] Al Courtines

Back