Sunfish Rudder Assemblies and Dagger Boards For Sale

Alan S. Glos

Price $
State
NEW YORK
City
Cazenovia
Sunfish Rudder Assemblies and Dagger Boards for Sale

Sunfish rudders and dagger boards for sale. All have been refurbished and refinished with three coats of marine gloss spar varnish. Hardware has been reconditioned and burnished to like new condition. Blades are all mahogany; tillers are ash or mahogany as described. Hardware is all brass, bronze or stainless steel. See photos and descriptions below for details and prices. All items are Sunfish factory made and freshwater use only.

Interested? Questions? Please e-mail me directly at: aglos@colgate.edu
or call me at: (315) 655-8296, evenings. Please refer to the item number in any inquiry.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

#1 Rudder assembly.
The pick of the litter! Race grade in excellent condition. Heavy duty synthetic rudder head, oversized black tiller straps, 42” ash tiller and 32” Ronstan tiller extension with foam covered handle. Fully Class legal for racing. $270 + shipping.

[SOLD] #2 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 40” ash tiller and 33” aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

[SOLD] #3 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 42” ash tiller and 24” Ronstan aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

#4 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 43” ash tiller and 24” Ronstan aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

#5 Antique (1950s) Original “elephant ear” shaped rudder assembly.
Excellent condition. Beautiful bronze and brass hardware. Perfect for a period correct wood Sunfish restoration project, man-cave or she-shack wall hanger or make into a vintage regatta perpetual trophy.
$150 + shipping.

[SOLD] #6 Pre-1972 Rudder assembly.
Excellent condition. Standard 42” mahogany tiller and 24” tapered mahogany tiller extension. $165 + shipping.

[SOLD] #7 Original round bottom daggerboard.
Excellent condition. Side handles glued in place.
$95 + shipping.

[SOLD] #8 Tapered “Shadow” daggerboard.
Excellent condition. New side handles glued in place. The preferred board for a Super Sailfish or Minifish but was also factory issue for new Sunfish for years. $80 + shipping.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alan S. Glos

Rudder assembly #2 and Daggerboard #8 sold today - all other items are still available.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Woodwind

Alan,
I am embarking on re-assembling of my pintle assembly.
I have the circlip designed pintle without a hole drilled.
Any tips on how to get that circlip in?
It looks like you must know the ins and outs of assembling rudders with all those for sale… :D

Think I’m going to have to compress the spring and washer with a pair of needle nose channel locks,
then somehow put that circlip in place.
I do have snap ring pliers...
Am I on the right track?

thanks

Alan S. Glos

Woodwind.

This is a tricky assembly and hard to describe in writing. If you have the retaining ring tool that allows you to gently open the spring, you are 90% there. It is a matter of assemblng the pintle, spring, washers and retaining ring in the right order, and yes vice grips can come in handy to hold the spring in place during assenmbly. It helps to have another fully assembled rudder head to make sure you are assembling all the parts together in the right order. Maybe other readers here have photos they could post.

Last summer I was racing and the stainless retaining ring broke. The pintle ended up at the bottom of the lake but I held on to the tiller and rudder and limped back to shore without incident using my paddle as a rudder. This small retaining ring is the weak link in this rig and I think the pintle with the hole and regular cotter is a better rig.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Woodwind

Thanks Alan!!!
Have studied images and diagrams online...and I understand the order of the parts.
I’m going to give it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

I’ve relinquished enough sacrifices to Neptune, so may switch to the drilled pintle in the future.

thanks again!!

chicago_saint

Or you could drill a hole thru your existing pintle in the circlip groove- that's what I do when I have to rebuild a rudder that has the circlip.
The pintle usually get bent at one of the necked ends, when someone beaches a boat inadvertently coming to shore in rough surf.
The section where you would drill isn't a weak point.

po-man sailor

Sunfish Rudder Assemblies and Dagger Boards for Sale

Sunfish rudders and dagger boards for sale. All have been refurbished and refinished with three coats of marine gloss spar varnish. Hardware has been reconditioned and burnished to like new condition. Blades are all mahogany; tillers are ash or mahogany as described. Hardware is all brass, bronze or stainless steel. See photos and descriptions below for details and prices. All items are Sunfish factory made and freshwater use only.

Interested? Questions? Please e-mail me directly at: aglos@colgate.edu
or call me at: (315) 655-8296, evenings. Please refer to the item number in any inquiry.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

#1 Rudder assembly.
The pick of the litter! Race grade in excellent condition. Heavy duty synthetic rudder head, oversized black tiller straps, 42” ash tiller and 32” Ronstan tiller extension with foam covered handle. Fully Class legal for racing. $270 + shipping.

[SOLD] #2 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 40” ash tiller and 33” aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

#3 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 42” ash tiller and 24” Ronstan aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

#4 Rudder assembly.
Day sail or race. Excellent condition. Cast aluminum rudder head. 43” ash tiller and 24” Ronstan aluminum tiller extension. $250 + shipping.

#5 Antique (1950s) Original “elephant ear” shaped rudder assembly.
Excellent condition. Beautiful bronze and brass hardware. Perfect for a period correct wood Sunfish restoration project, man-cave or she-shack wall hanger or make into a vintage regatta perpetual trophy.
$150 + shipping.

#6 Pre-1972 Rudder assembly.
Excellent condition. Standard 42” mahogany tiller and 24” tapered mahogany tiller extension. $165 + shipping.

#7 Original round bottom daggerboard.
Excellent condition. Side handles glued in place.
$95 + shipping.

[SOLD] #8 Tapered “Shadow” daggerboard.
Excellent condition. New side handles glued in place. The preferred board for a Super Sailfish or Minifish but was also factory issue for new Sunfish for years. $80 + shipping.
Hey, Alan. Can to tell me further the difference between the #7 and #8? Is the #8 sharp on both edges? Is that why they call it shadow? My new project boat seems to have a number 8. I'll look again it's a 76. Thanks

Woodwind

Or you could drill a hole thru your existing pintle in the circlip groove- that's what I do when I have to rebuild a rudder that has the circlip.
The pintle usually get bent at one of the necked ends, when someone beaches a boat inadvertently coming to shore in rough surf.
The section where you would drill isn't a weak point.
Thanks C_S!
I may drill it.
Do you know what size bit?

Alan S. Glos

Hey, Alan. Can to tell me further the difference between the #7 and #8? Is the #8 sharp on both edges? Is that why they call it shadow? My new project boat seems to have a number 8. I'll look again it's a 76. Thanks
po-man,

At the risk of too much information, there are 6 factory built, Sunfish dagger board designs:

-The original round or "spoon" bottom design like my #7. This board was factory issue for all fiberglass boat until the mid 1970s
-The tapered "Shadow", flat botton design like my #8. It was factory issue for both the Sunfish and the the smaller Minifish boats. It worked well for the Minifish but many Sunfish racers complained that it did not have enough area and went back to using the original spoon bottom design until the builder came out with...
-The flat bottom, no taper "Barrington" board. Most serious racers used this board until the Class authorized the...
-Synthetic board with hand cut-out feature at the top. Longer, true full length hydrofoil design that made all the wood boards obsolete from racing but prone to tip damage, followed by the...
-Same synthetic design without the hand cut-out feature, followed by the...
-Infused design, same shape but stronger, better finish.

All the wood boards were made out of 3/4" thick mahogany with rounded edges about 1.5" in from each edge (but not a true hydrofoil like all the synthetic designs.) The wood boards are still popular for day sailors owing to lower cost and durability.

Hope this is helpful.

Alan Glos

Reactions: tag

Alan S. Glos

Daggerboard #7 has sold. Several other Sunfish rudder/tillers are still available as marked.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY