Sunfish Rigging

sonofasunfish

Just happy to be here
I am restoring a 1986 sunfish and was hoping to get some recommendations on size and type of line to use for the rigging; mainsheet, halyard, outhauls, etc...

I have found the following link for replacement sails. Not class legal, but a reputable sail maker at a good price.
http://www.neilprydesails.com/catalog/products/sun.htm

Also, any advice to bring a shine back to the hull and deck?

For the Shine - Check the SF Class Home page under Tips and Tricks, Restoring the Gelcoat to bring back the shine. A bit of work, but worth it. I have done it to a badly neglected '69 and it looks almost new.

For Lines - APS has a racing package that list line sizes and lengths. The original halyard and mainline were 24' +/- a few inches (I just measured 2 sets of original cotton lines from a '63 and a '69 SF I have been working on). 18" was the approximate length of the non-adjustable outhauls (pieced them together after cutting them off the sail/spar).

For Sails - Do a search on this forum for sails, It has been covered before and there are other makers of replacement sails. For a legal sail (North Sails is the current maker), you have to get it from a dealer and will pay the current price (or somebody selling one on line for less).

For how to rig - Go to Vanguard, they have a downlaodable rigging guide and parts/price list.

Good Luck

Back