Sunfish replacement lines

floydvoid

Hello,

I am in the process of drying out an 81 sunfish hull while sailing an Alcort early 70s boat that is in rough shape. All the lines are in rough shape and I'd like to replace them. At the moment, I had not planned on racing, but I would like to make sure the boat can handle heavier winds if need be and be reliable. I have my retired 7mm perlon climbing anchor cord as the halyard at the moment and the old sheet seems to be holding up.

What is the best option (and where to buy it) for a Halyard, sheet and bridal loop?

Should I tie a rope bridal with rope on rope connection or use some sort of clip pulley? Or replace with the no loop dyneema?

I'm still reading about outhauls and sail ties- I have skinny climbing accessory cord that I think will work to mess around with this

I bought the Harken 2135 mainsheet block, but have not installed it and a cleet to go on the mast for the halyard.

Other suggestions for reliability?

Advertisers here can supply a full kit of lines. My lines were bought individually, because sometimes, you're "brought up short". :confused:

While you're temporarily "not racing", consider that the bridle needs to conform to racing rules. (Which does not include fabric lines.)

Hand-tying the sail seems labor intensive, when advertisers will sell a complete set of clip-ons. If heavy winds are a concern, looser ties on the luff will de-power the rig. (I learned that here).

When I had a chance to buy a MiniFish sail and spars, I should have taken it--just for those windy days that I had to skip venturing out.

I've got both metal and fabric bridles which get the job done. I don't know about the legality of mainsheet or halyard lines, but suspect "anything goes".

I once purchased a Sunfish with a very skinny halyard. Strong as the line was, I re-purposed it. Even with gloves, raising the main was painful. :(

I posted a couple months ago - Shorelines Sailboats has a recreational line package for $30 or so.

They have a website... but not sure how up-to-date it would be, I know they just posted the rec line package on Twitter and Instagram a couple weeks ago. I'd just give Kyle a call to order it.
Call or text:
Darren Leonard and Kyle Leonard – 585-754-5315 for new boat/equipment purchases, event/news postings, or general repair questions.

Hello,

I am in the process of drying out an 81 sunfish hull while sailing an Alcort early 70s boat that is in rough shape. All the lines are in rough shape and I'd like to replace them. At the moment, I had not planned on racing, but I would like to make sure the boat can handle heavier winds if need be and be reliable. I have my retired 7mm perlon climbing anchor cord as the halyard at the moment and the old sheet seems to be holding up.

What is the best option (and where to buy it) for a Halyard, sheet and bridal loop?

Should I tie a rope bridal with rope on rope connection or use some sort of clip pulley? Or replace with the no loop dyneema?

I'm still reading about outhauls and sail ties- I have skinny climbing accessory cord that I think will work to mess around with this

I bought the Harken 2135 mainsheet block, but have not installed it and a cleet to go on the mast for the halyard.

Other suggestions for reliability?
I read recently that a rope bridle is no longer race legal. Having said that, I switched from the three loop wire bridle to the two loop dyneema bridle and like it better. I use a bowline to connect the mainsheet to the bridle and that works fine. I think if I added a pulley or metal block or metal clip to the mainsheet it would just scratch up my deck.

you will enjoy having a ratchet block.

adding the halyard cleat to the mast will do a lot to improve reliability. I also have a Teflon disk at the bottom of the mast step and Teflon tape on the mast where it ru against the mast step. I can’t say for sure if it makes a difference but it seems to make sense.

I purchased my most recent lines from Intensity Sails. I’ve been happy with the items I bought from them.

Back