Sunfish production has begun in the UK

tag

my2fish
photos shared by Laser Performance yesterday on Twitter and Instagram (probably Facebook too, but I don't use that one).

not sure of the significance – but no sign of the foam flotation blocks. are they being phased out? or just by chance not shown in any of these selected photos?

sunfish UK 01.jpg
sunfish UK 02.jpg
sunfish UK 03.jpg
sunfish UK 04.jpg

I understand that they've been built at the Banbury plant for some time now, and that the flotation has been switched from styrofoam to cubitainers, Laser-style. Concern has been expressed that this would weaken the structure, but then again, Lasers aren't falling apart while being similarly constructed. Does the class have a construction manual, or is the builder basically free to do anything?

_

Does the class have a construction manual, or is the builder basically free to do anything?

I'll let some with more knowledge on the Class weigh in, but I'll offer this message from the latest Class "Windward Leg" email (Nov 18, 2019), a message from ISCA President Rich Chapman:
The past few months the class has been involved in on-going negotiations with LaserPerformance. We are very close to having a finalized builder’s agreement, World Sailing agreement and construction manual. We are very excited about the prospect of having these in place by the end of the year and moving forward with sponsorship from LP for future events.

I don't know if that means they are coming to agreement on a new construction manual, or THE construction manual.

LP, in their incredible wisdom, decided the foam blocks were not structural, so got rid of them. It will be interesting to see how long these boats last.

Built in UK, or Portugal?
So you are saying LP is faking it in their twitter post and they are really making them in Portugal?

Also odd that they imply they are starting up in the UK when they have been supplying Sunfish marked as made in the UK to the US for the last two years!!

Reactions: tag
Torrid is probably referring to the earlier post that mentions LP producing fiberglass boats in Portugal. The Portugal photos don’t look like Sunfish... so maybe the Sunfish is going to be built in the UK and other LP models are going to be built in Portugal?

The buzz was LP was moving production to Portugal, possibly for Brexit reasons. Maybe under Brexit, it will be easier to export boats from UK to the US than to continental Europe? The Sunfish market is mostly in the US, while LP only seems interested in servicing the Europe portion of the Laser market.

Just seems odd they would post a pic saying it was taken in the UK plant if the pic is really from Portugal. But I hardly want to defend LP - they often say one thing while doing another! I am not a fan of them and they have damaged the Sunfish and Laser classes with their shenanigans.

I posted this elsewhere on this forum back on Nov. 2:

This is an excerpt from LP’s Jan 15, 2019 Facebook post. Since they continuously change their minds, who knows what they are doing now. The excerpt:

As a result of the US-China trade war, we have decided to set up our own manufacturing facilities in Portugal with the objective of becoming fully operational by this year end. Manufacturing of all sloops and collegiate sailing boats will be given priority. Our existing resources in China will continue to supply the Asian markets. Laser Sailboats manufacturing in Banbury, UK, will expand to include the Sunfish boat.

Reactions: tag

Back