Sunfish on CRV

vela

I am going to look at a Sunfish tomorrow and if it is what we want, I would like to take it home.
I have a 97 Honda CRV with rack rated for 75lbs.
How can I do this safely?
Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your reply.
Is there a way just to get it home (50 miles) with what I have, and then get the better rack later?
Also, the Sunfish is 140 lbs. (from the 60's)
Does that mean it has taken on water?

Tie it down well, especially to the front bumper. Then don't corner fast or drive like a lunatic so that you keep forces down on the roof. 140 is probably about right for a boat of that era. They were heavier, and they also were less consistently made then.

Have somebody video your trip, so if it does fly off the roof at least you will have a video record of it ;) BB

If your rack is rated for 75 pounds then DON'T put a 140 pound sunfish on it ! If the Rack fails you at best scratch the you know what out of your car paint , and at worse injure someone , Hoping Beldars advise is somewhat in jest if not.....Bad Beldar !:eek:

Thank you for the advice.
Well, a video might be difficult, but I'll let you know how it went if we go ahead and buy the boat. :).

Surfski:
Your post wasn't up yet when I sent my last reply.
If we put something (blankets) under the boat to make up the distance between the top of the car and the rack and tied the whole thing down, could that work?

It could but..... I have been strapping down kayaks , surfskis , optis and sunfish on to cars for15 years , IMHO it is not worth the risk to jury rig it. You could put some blankets down , sure BUT you hit the wrong bump or swervre in an emergency (can't predict those can we) you could have a problem , hell even with bomber racks you could have a strap fail and have a problem , my point....don't hedge your bets. 140 pound sunfish flying off a car going forty miles an hour IS going to do some damage somewhere. Go to home depot and rent the pickup for a couple hours , cost ya 50 bucks or maybe less. Roof top transport of a sunfish needs a well thought out rack system. Most people trailer cuz it is easier and less subject to issues. I only rooftop cuz I don't have a place for the trailer. I have a good rack system and I check and recheck frequently and drive conservatively and STILL it makes me nervous. Do with this what you will but please think it through. Good luck.

Back