Sunfish newbie Questions repair/upgrade

Yeah good catch. I think I paid around $20 for a dozen. You can find them at different places and we all know that west marine is as expensive as it gets for marine anything. Still cheap tho considering cost and headache avoided.

They make a stainless steel plate backed fastener that allows you to insert the backing into the hole and screw into it with a bolt without having to get behind the fiberglass. FASCO FASTENER Stainless Steel Togglers | West Marine It's called a stainless steel toggler. Turn the plate down, slide into the hold, slide plastic washer down, cut off excess plastic, and screw in bolt. I've used these for seating on the deck of fiberglass boat. They are strong and doesn't matter if there is wood backing or not.

Thank you TexomaPowerboater. I have already taken steps towards finding technical support with Mixmkr method and have also been contemplating opening the deck. These fasteners now give me another option. Although I initially was excited about installing an Inspection Port I´ve temporarily paused that line of thought. A friend suggested I simply screw in a larger thread size and I´ve tested it slightly. I appear to have some meat there but it of course doesn´t really have any substance to that approach. Either way, I´m progressing and will soon be testing. As many in the group have mentioned, I need to get accustomed to repair and maintenance and this is all about truly owning and operable Sunfish. I´m still a happy owner and can´t wait to get some pictures posted once I get her back on the water very soon.

Back