Sunfish never rigged for Main Block

Cdubb

Hi all,

Bought a older AMF Alcort Sunfish (70s?) today and I noticed it does not have a main block not does it appear one was ever mounted. How can this be? The boat is in fair shape and complete other wise, it's only ever been sailed once in its entire existence. Can someone attempt explain this and if I'm really lucky does anyone have one laying around they would want to part with?

Reagrds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 93
That hook mounted at the front lip of the cockpit was all the stock Sunfish came with (maybe still the case).

That very interesting, did a google image search and saw all these old boats with blocks and I panicked haha. Rookie misunderstanding I guess, I only have experince with Hobie 16's so it though me off. Loop the mainsheet around that hook there then?

Yep - loop the mainsheet under the hook and hang on. It won't take long before you're vowing to get a block or cleat before heading out again... ;)

My boat came the same way, I mounted a stainless strap through the deck and cockpit backed up with 1" washers.
I use a standard block with a stand up spring. So far has held up in 36 knots.

Cdubb,

Same here. Former MACRA and Prindle guy. I just ordered the Harken 2135 and vert spring for my fish. To replace that "hook".

Thanks for the replies! What a relief I didn't have a odd ball! I did some digging though my the surplus sailing stuff in the shed and found a Harken ratchet block, have a look. It has a selector to go from ratchet to free spin, guessing its left over from my dads Lightning. Would need the spring and base but what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 86
That block appears a little on the large side (for a Sunfish), but would work just fine.
As an aside, rather than the spring, you can get a stand-up boot.

Back in the day everyone used the big Harken on Sunfish. It'll still work and provides a lot of friction which is good.

I have an older sunfish. The line goes from the mainsheet right to my hand. I use the hook only if I'm staying on the same course for a while and need a break or going straight downwind with the sail all the way out and the knot at the end of the line stopped with the hook (just be careful not to fall overboard at this point or you will have a great view of the fish sailing off into the sunset). I've gotten used to not having any type of "gang" and keeping it simple.

I have an older sunfish. The line goes from the mainsheet right to my hand. I use the hook only if I'm staying on the same course for a while and need a break or going straight downwind with the sail all the way out and the knot at the end of the line stopped with the hook (just be careful not to fall overboard at this point or you will have a great view of the fish sailing off into the sunset). I've gotten used to not having any type of "gang" and keeping it simple.
Wont your boat round up letting go of the tiller...or is it perfectly balanced so you can go belowdecks and grab a quick sandwich??:)

What great info here by all of you! Thank you all very much! Sounds like I have the block for the job just need a few other parts but I have the part numbers now so this should be no sweat. I think I'll try the hook alone first, just to see what that's like since the upgrade doesn't sound like a huge undertaking. I have a few other newbie questions for you all too. So with the drain plug/auto bailer is there supposed to be a actual plug in the hole or is it ment to be open? Also on the mast is there supposed to be a cleat for the halyard? I don't see where on was on the mast there's just one on the deck. Reason I ask is in my YouTube crash course on fish all the rigging videos show newer boats and they have a cleat on the mast. Thanks again everyone!

Back