Sunfish model identification help

sancarlosmexico

Greetings,

I purchased this hull and trailer yesterday and feel really curious about the tail on this hull.

Is it original? If so, I'm wondering what model it is. Anyone here know?

Thanks in advance.

I
20200822_164446.jpg
20200822_164456.jpg
20200822_164505.jpg

In my many Sunfish searches, I've seen nothing like this one. :confused:

From the location of the traveler, and the purchase "gain" of three mainsheet blocks, it must have been an attempt at a "souped-up rig". (For shallow water?) The cubby [front] looks deeper than standard.

It's going to take the original rigging to get this hull going. :oops:

(Nice coil springs and shocks on the cart). ;)

Definitely a one of a kind! Did the seller give you any background on the boat’s history? Do you have the rest of the rigging?
The seller was not the original owner. He had no idea how it works. I had been looking for a trailer for over a year and when I found the set I immediately pursued the purchase. As I began to observe the trailer features, I remembered where I had originally seen the trailer over a year ago. It was outside of a home in a cul de sac on the Bay water. I remembered because of the unique trailing arms. The seller mentioned trading work with a lady for it. Since I know the location, I will drive over and see if I can learn more about it and find out if it’s rigging is available. I’m pretty excited. The Sunfish on the floor is my 1st one purchased last year and I plan on making the trailer haul both ASAP. Trailer rode incredibly smooth.

In my many Sunfish searches, I've seen nothing like this one. :confused:

From the location of the traveler, and the purchase "gain" of three mainsheet blocks, it must have been an attempt at a "souped-up rig". (For shallow water?) The cubby [front] looks deeper than standard.

It's going to take the original rigging to get this hull going. :oops:

(Nice coil springs and shocks on the cart). ;)
Thank you for your keen observations. Since I am fairly new to sailing, your words are an inspiration. Here I am hugging and tugging on my wife claiming, “a souped-up rig, can you believe it?.”

That ingenious trailer design tells me the creator of this Sunfish had the tiller operation all figured out. ;)

What I'd like to know is, why is there a centerboard trunk in the cockpit? :confused:

Last edited:
I'm guessing it's not a centerboard, but a hunk of glassed over wood, to move the mainsheet block aft...since you're now in a prone position to reach the tiller (extension)

This just in from Skipper..."Well that's different..."

Did you get the other Sunfish too? And where are you located?

They must have been trying to minimize turbulent flow from trailing edge separation. And the long waterline would make her faster.

Maybe she was an early attempt at a hybrid surfing sailboat, surfboard with a sail. Or a Sailfish that could haul passengers. Extra purchase with all those blocks.

How..... would the tiller and extension work on this?
I'll guess that this Sunfish had a larger/taller and/or square-topped sail. This Sunfish was designed to be sailed with the skipper standing. :confused: Maybe with a "wire"? Maybe for a one-direction speed contest?

A long extension went to the tiller. The rudder was "skeletonized" with metal until it met the water.

OK. I'm giving up :rolleyes: and am forced to ask my know-it-all sailing friend. :(

This just in from Skipper..."Well that's different..."

Did you get the other Sunfish too? And where are you located?

They must have been trying to minimize turbulent flow from trailing edge separation. And the long waterline would make her faster.

Maybe she was an early attempt at a hybrid surfing sailboat, surfboard with a sail. Or a Sailfish that could haul passengers. Extra purchase with all those blocks.
Yes, I purchased the other Sunfish (my 1st Sunfish) last year. I´ve need a trailer this whole time. I live in Guaymas (San Carlos) Sonora, Mexico. Sea of Cortes (Gulf of California).

I still plan on visiting the home where it was located to speak with the lady who lives there. Maybe I can find the original sailor.

Reactions: tag
I got a call from my "know-it-all" sailing/engineer friend. His guesses were similar to mine. (Big rig and centerboard trunk). But :oops: I've "retro-thought" to, the "trunk" is solely a mounting area for the blocks.

Maybe it's an early attempt at a world record sailing speed, before the wind-surfers emerged in the 1980s?

If the original Sunfish rudder is used, wouldn't it now sit up way too high out of the water?
My guess is, the originator used precise sail trim which would allow reduced rudder drag (leading edge and surface area) at high speeds. (Leaving only a fraction of the rudder in the water).

This was a Sunfish ahead of its time--an extreme Sunfish racer!

This was a Sunfish ahead of its time--an extreme Sunfish racer!

Awesome news! Maybe this discovery is purposeful for me. My 1st Sunfish purchase was for my daughter while this racer must be for me. Since I am just embarking along this path, what suggestions can you offer me? We are actively building the trailer "2nd floor" space with collapsable rests and I hope to have that done sometime this week hopefully. I´ll keep you updated on the work. Thanks!

My guess is ..the rudder was custom made to be longer..... is it? Certainly easy enough to make.

Does the underside show modifications to the daggerboard area?

Suggestions:

Your best bet would be to search for any history of this Sunfish, using local knowledge and other sailing sites. Join sites that know and engineer monohull rigs.

When I asked for a replacement rig suggestion, my engineer friend said a Hobie 16 rig was too big.

Besides the standard rig (which you could test right now) the next easiest would be a Super Sunfish rig, but with all those blocks, something else was intended. I figure, with two blocks on the boom, a Finn sail is a possibility. (But the intended rig was probably developed new in the late 60s or early 70s--not the 1950s--like Finn). Maybe a windsurfer rig, which was developed in the 1970s?

To know what it once had will help in "improving the breed"--if that's possible!

There are loops on either side on the back roughly where you would have a bridle. It's about the time frame for a super Sunfish rig and the purchases would it work for that.

Greetings
Under the title of "fish of a feather sail together?" I just started a post today with the same question.
Has there been anyone who came forward with an answer to the question, "What is this fish?"
Sanclarlomexico...you're not alone!
L&VW...thanks for the lead.
Here's my boat...

Fuzzy

1621408456408.png

1) This forum has a "Start a Conversation" private messaging feature.

If member Sancarlomexico hasn't changed his email address, a message can be sent and received. (More than one member can be added to the message). :cool:

2) Y'know, the modifications allow a place to put a crew for strong wind sailing. ("Rail meat" in crewed-sailboat jargon).

Back