Sunfish masthead wind indicator

Sure, Hanger, cassette tape, electrical tape. Done.

6 inches hanger wire. loop one end. 6 inches cassette tape tied to loop. Tape straight end of wire to upper spar. Repeat as needed :)

Like Paul said, you want to use the upper spar rather than the masthead. Trust me the mast head one won't work worth a damn.
Also his method is the one I've used for at least 20 years.

Hate to admit this, but I spent $9 (APS) for a red (Holt Allen) windvane. It's a little easier on the old eyes (I think).

I've used the red plastic indicators attached to a large suction cup and stuck them on the deck just behind the bow handle. Because they are so easy to see they provide far more helpful info. than one that's mounted above. I was surprised just how helpful they are, allowing constant correction input.

Al Court said:
I've used the red plastic indicators attached to a large suction cup and stuck them on the deck just behind the bow handle. Because they are so easy to see they provide far more helpful info. than one that's mounted above. I was surprised just how helpful they are, allowing constant correction input.
An indicator mounted behind the bow would sure save my neck and eyes. Are they a commercial item or did you rig it? It sounds like a rigged item. If so, explain what you did. Thanks.

THE COOKIE PIMP said:
The Easy Way To Save Your Neck Is Look At The Boats Around You. What's Their's Doing? Your's Will Be Doing The Same Soon.

As far as racing is concerned, I respectfully disagree. You want to be the first one to catch the new puff, or to change course. Relying on the others will definitely put you in the back of the fleet.

Back