Sunfish manufacture date?

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the sailing community and this is my first forum post. Today I bought an AMF Alcort Sunfish. I'm interested in knowing what year the boat was manufactured. It does have the rear storage compartment, so post 1971 I'm assuming? I've read where the serial number should be on the right corner and the last two digits reflect the year. My boat only has a faded sticker on the right corner, but does have numbers molded on the left corner. These numbers are as follows, "010036". Does anyone know what these numbers might reflect?

Attachments

• Sunfish1.jpg
    Sunfish1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Sunfish2.jpg
    Sunfish2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 43
I've got one of those Sunfish, too, and still scratching my head what those numbers meant. Response #8, below:

Post a few more pictures of the boat, some folks can date the boat based off of the gelcoat colors and sticker styles, deck hardware, sail colors, etc. Based on the gelcoat stripe colors I see I would guess around 1981.

The different numbering scheme might indicate that the boat was built in Canada.

Our 1981 AMF Alcort Sunfish

Double Stack Madison kayak rack.jpg

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the sailing community and this is my first forum post. Today I bought an AMF Alcort Sunfish. I'm interested in knowing what year the boat was manufactured. It does have the rear storage compartment, so post 1971 I'm assuming? I've read where the serial number should be on the right corner and the last two digits reflect the year. My boat only has a faded sticker on the right corner, but does have numbers molded on the left corner. These numbers are as follows, "010036". Does anyone know what these numbers might reflect?

Attachments

• Sunfish3.jpg
    Sunfish3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
Post a few more pictures of the boat, some folks can date the boat based off of the gelcoat colors and sticker styles, deck hardware, sail colors, etc. Based on the gelcoat stripe colors I see I would guess around 1981.

The different numbering scheme might indicate that the boat was built in Canada.

Our 1981 AMF Alcort Sunfish

View attachment 47962
You boat looks very much like mine! I'm still trying to find a trailer for it though. Looks like you have yours set up for 2 boats! Did your boat come with the trailer or did you have to find it elsewhere as well?

I’m pretty sure SC is about right. I think that those turquoise stripes date it to the late 70s/early 80s. It was an extremely popular color that was paired up with a sail that started out pale yellow and became a deep blue at the bottom. I think that color scheme was known as the Gulfstream.scroll down at the link to see a pic. The Fun of Sailing by AMF Alcort

We found the Magic Tilt trailer, it was designed for one of the bigger, longer double jet skis. It is heavy enough that it rides nice even when it is empty. We added 2 pairs of steel trailer guides, and our trailer guy cut the aluminum cross beams. It hauled a lot of boats, there was room to suspend a 3rd boat below the cross beams. Unfortunately we sold it while we lived on the bay front in Florida. Wish we had it now that we moved and are enjoying being trailer sailors again. :)

Double Stack ZIP Sunfish trailer.jpg

Back