sunfish maintenance

Saint Wacko

I am putting my Sunfish back into the water after it was up on the trailer in a lot all winter, and I have read that I just need to wash it down and wax it. Is there anything else I need to do? Also, is it okay to just use car washing soap and car wax, or do I need to go buy it special from a boating store?

I am putting my Sunfish back into the water after it was up on the trailer in a lot all winter, and I have read that I just need to wash it down and wax it. Is there anything else I need to do? Also, is it okay to just use car washing soap and car wax, or do I need to go buy it special from a boating store?
Presuming the boat was well covered and water didn't accumulate in the cockpit making bathtub rings at the very least, then check all your fittings to be sure they are snug and in good working order. Unfurl your sail and see that it doesn't need repair attention or a bath.

If you have an older boat with the metal bailer, the manual for the early years recommended removing the bailer at least once a season to check the gaskets and grease the threads. My recommendation for thread lube is wax, like candle wax. It lubes threads just as well and doesn't wash out or capture grit as easily as grease. Petrolium products in general aren't nice to fiberglass. They can stain and promote delamination as the warnings on many spray lube products will tell you.

Carwash soap is usually formulated to be gentle and not strip off wax so you can do many washings without the need to re-wax.

Car wax that's rated for fiberglass should be fine. My experience is the name brand boat wax products last a little longer. Can't say if they last longer enough to justify their price. Some boat waxes have a higher degree of gelcoat preservative, but they don't put secret formula quantities on the labels so it comes down to trial & error for the consumer.

Conversley, 3M or Meguiar's high quality boat wax sure lasts a long time on my car.

Caution: waxing makes the boat deck very slippery. A little surfboard wax in the right places can remedy that, though.
http://www.sexwaxdealer.com/index.c...essionid=f0301796028b3436f0e2682d6738365c61d1

Don't forget to open the deck drain and empty out any condensation that accumulated over the winter.

Back