Sunfish Keel Repair

Corprin

I need to flip my sunfish and repair a crack in the keel under the cockpit. I’m a handy DIYer, so good there for the most part. Can’t wait to learn fiberglass work… HA!

At this point in the game I need to come up with a work stand to hold the boat while I work on her. I am on limited budget so looking for some ideas.

I have the upper rack from a right-on trailer I can coat the spars in pool noodle.

IMG_1704.jpeg

They are 64” in length and 30.75” center to center. Would they be enough to support the sunfish on its deck if u run the spars along the cockpit? For example:

IMG_1705.jpeg

Pool noodles would be full length.

Other option is to use some of my spare 2x4 material and build a cradle on a pair of saw horses.

IMG_1706.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

I know it’s not the optimum, but it’s using what I have on hand. Thoughts?

You'd be OK with full length pool noodles.

Other considerations here:

That will work. We built a padded cradle for the hull bottom that nestled over some sawhorses, with 2x4 cut to the correct angles, you could do the same for the Right On rack.

If you have room to store it, build a work dolly like they used at Laser Performance. The bunks are articulated and bungeed, so they swivel to hold the
V-hull in this orientation, or lay flat when the boat is flipped. When not is use for Sunfish we have a benchtop/ladder frame that we lay on the dolly, to give us a mobile workbench or ladder frame (strongback) for boat building.

IMG_1365.jpeg

Laser Performance inspiration.

Laser Performance Work stand dolly.jpg

That will work. We built a padded cradle for the hull bottom that nestled over some sawhorses, with 2x4 cut to the correct angles, you could do the same for the Right On rack.

If you have room to store it, build a work dolly like they used at Laser Performance. The bunks are articulated and bungeed, so they swivel to hold the
V-hull in this orientation, or lay flat when the boat is flipped. When not is use for Sunfish we have a benchtop/ladder frame that we lay on the dolly, to give us a mobile workbench or ladder frame (strongback) for boat building.

View attachment 55732

Laser Performance inspiration.

View attachment 55733

Thank you. Step one is good. She’s on the rack. Now I need to take the legs down a foot or two so I can get to the hull.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified for what I’m about to do.

70519093474__ED432F33-B5FD-49DD-A5DE-74A39A6B2B8E.jpeg
70519095505__D04CB5A5-5EBA-4B9B-924C-588D3BE44487.jpeg
70519096660__1E2D5BE2-06C3-4EE5-ADF7-4D8A49BEECAA.jpeg

Looks good. Don't go too deep if you're cutting under the cockpit, there is less than one inch clearance.

:eek: Thank you. Step one is good. She’s on the rack. Now I need to take the legs down a foot or two so I can get to the hull.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified for what I’m about to do.

View attachment 55740
You've probably already got the hull where you want it, but I'd swap the clamp-type sawhorse legs (nearest with the furthest) to present the hull bottom at an angle.

I found that working with my used fire-hose "rack" that a ready angling of the hull gave many advantages in "presenting" the various defects where they'd be closest--with less strain on the lower back. (Less reaching/leaning/stretching--particularly when working with a sander that gets heavier with use). :rolleyes:

When working with expanding foam, a good tilt kept the liquid flowing into a desirous direction. (Instead of everywhere else!) :(

Back